Friday, December 16, 2005

SHUT UP

Today was a much better day, thanks. Although! I'm learning some things about me.
Mainly this. In an upsetting or stressful situation, I'm better at dealing with it by internalizing. At work, everyone is buzzing about all these changes happening and I just want to say "For gawdsake, just STFU and move on!" In case I made that up, it's "Shut the Heck Up". I can't see how fretting and speculating and going on and on about something we have no control over is going to make anything any better. But I realize that in just about any situation, "they" do their thing and I do mine. I could never understand how some people can survive a workplace setting by running off at the mouth over every little thing, day after day. I have good relationships with 90% of the people I work with and I attribute much of that to the fact that I spend a lot of time keeping my mouth shut. People I care about confide in me and it stays with me. If I feel strongly about something, I will share that with my "close group" and appreciate that they respect that. If something affects me directly, I consider it my business and if it doesn't, I don't let it concern me.
There seems to be this huge "overlap factor" which people get sucked into; those issues that get passed from one uninvolved party to another. Before you know it, a whole group is all hissed up over something that doesn't even concern them. That riles me up. It's just so much easier to worry about one's self and let everyone else do the same. I'm tempted about once a month to shut myself up in my little studio and print up a shirt to wear to work. I believe the last one I threatened to make was going to say "Do You Mind? I'm trying to live my (one and only) life here."
I think this month's shirt just might say STFU!!!

Oh my, there's a bit of an attitude in today's post. But I let it out and I feel better. Thanks for listenin'.

After the Holiday winds down I plan to add some more music news and/or trivia to my entries. It's a passion of mine and I had intended to write way more music-related stuff when I started out and just haven't had the time to do much more than whine since the onset. I happened to notice on my calendar that tomorrow is the 4-year anniversary of the death of Stuart Adamson of the band Big Country, a favorite of mine. I will be listening to "In a Big Country" tomorrow in his honor.

STHTTMMS: Ever see the commercial on TV for an insurance company where a sister and her younger brother, who has Downe's Syndrome are having breakfast? She's reading the paper and he tosses some Cereal-O's at her? It's cute and I think it's cool that they are including handicapped people in their advertising. The commercial has
a nice message too. (If you trust insurance companies).

GSL: "Out on the road today I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac. A little voice inside my head said 'Don't look back, you can never look back.'" from Boys of Summer (Hurry Summer!) by Don Henley.

1 Comments:

Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

I think you're both correct. There are a few exceptions, of course (women I enjoy working with) but if I had to pick, well... Sorry, Ladies.

12:10 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home