Tuesday, December 13, 2005

BREATHE SOME NEW LIFE

In case you, Reader, are starting to think about making some New Year's resolutions, here is something I came across that you may want to consider before tackling any new "life changes":

"I left the woods for as good a reason as I went there. Perhaps it seemed
to me that I had several more lives to live, and could not spare any more
time for that one. It is remarkable how easily and insensibly we fall into
a particular route, and make a beaten track for ourselves."
-Thoreau

Isn't it crazy how we are slaves to routine? I spend a ridiculous amount of time changing things in my daily life to avoid just that. I will drive a new way to work, park somewhere different, a hundred different things in a day. It's a weird personality quirk I have but you would be surprised what a difference it makes in your life. You see new things and meet new people every day. Nothing makes me quite as crazy as predictible, same-old same-old. I don't even button a shirt from top to bottom, I have to mix up the order. There are down-sides, let me tell you. I can never find my shoes. My date book looks like a third grader's. Sometimes I get lost but it's usually an adventure getting there. And when people think you're nutso (which is how I'm sure I appear at times), they tend to give you a wide berth...

We are having our Christmas party at work tomorrow afternoon. The extent of my preparation so far is having painted my nails Red-Red. Now must go throw together an ensemble worthy of Red-Red.

STHTTMML: I listen to music constantly at work. So as not to annoy co-workers, we wear headphones. Today I was enjoying ZZ Top, cranked pretty high. I was starting to feel crampy from sitting at my desk and simultaneously slid back my chair and broke into a full-body stretch- which would have been quite gratifying, had I not pulled the headphone jack out of my cd player and blasted the whole room with a spine-jarring chorus of "Every girls crazy 'bout a Sharp-Dressed Man"!

GSL: "Baby slow down. The end is not as fun as the start. Please stay a child somewhere in your heart. From "Original of the Species" by U2

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I so thought that Amish/Japanese thing was something Laurie would do! *sniff* Aaah, the good times... have fun at the party and tell everyone that I said hi!

4:45 PM EST  
Blogger Shooter said...

They say that changing routine is good for brain function. It keeps your mind sharp.

3:19 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home