Thursday, December 08, 2005

23 YEARS AGO

Before I lose the attention of the young ladies (and Jeff A.!) who have come over from JuJubee's site, I'd like to pass on a few things I've learned that I wish I had known better when I was your age...

Twenty three years ago, JuJu was 4 1/2 years old and her brother was 6. And I was... oh yeah, I was 23 ;-) JuJu at that age was running around the house playing with the dog and Barbies. The dog was most likely in a shopping cart dressed as a baby. She (JuJu) was probably wearing "jellies"- shoes and bracelets. She wore jellies twelve months out of the year. Her brother was probably reading the sports page in the recliner, his favorite after-school activity at that age. God knows what I was doing. But you can probably bet it wasn't baking cookies and polishing the silver. (Not that kind of mom). I was likely on the phone making plans for the PTA.

Anyway, I must impart to the young Mommies reading; those babies grow up so fast and before you know it you're planning activities for the next time the grandkids visit. I'm serious as a heart attack, no winking involved.

I'm sure there are times you feel like you are tethered to a play pen or bogged under by a monumental stack of spit-up-stained onesies. That you would trade your favorite pair of jeans (that still fit) for a babysitter for just one hour. Your spine now is permanently curved to the left from balancing a child on your right hip who screams the loudest when you're on the phone with the hot water tank repairman. These are the good times.

Memorize the look on that baby's face as he or she gazes up into your eyes while downing a bottle. Memorize the glee on that child's face as he or she splashes half the water out of the tub onto the bathroom floor. Memorize the peace on the face of that sleeping child and the smell of milk on their breath. It's all so fleeting. Before you know it it will be 2028.

Hope you took time today to remember the legacy John Lennon left for us 25 years ago.

STHTTMMS- Just up there when I thought of my kids, small again. Would go back there in a minute...

4 Comments:

Blogger JoJo said...

Okay, you made me cry. Not that it is that hard to do today. That was so sweet.


Lots of love.

10:11 PM EST  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

Thanks for the great advice, it was beautifully said.

12:54 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good points there. I try to keep these things fresh in my mind as I know how fast they can grow up on you. My oldest is 22 the youngest just 5 and a half. Quite the gap there but that is how the cards fell with two more in the middle to take up some of the slack.
I may complain about playing my little pony all day but I wouldn't trade those moments for anything in the world.

1:45 AM EST  
Blogger Amy said...

Thanks for the reminder. I keep giving myself a pep-talk when I feel worn-out and down. I will slow down, have patience, and try to enjoy motherhood more . . .

11:47 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home