Friday, January 20, 2006

EYES LIKE SPARKS
(Forgive me on the title, the only song with Eyes mentioned. Lame, I know)

Long day today. Worked half a day and left to have a test done by my eye doctor. I have a "grossly large optic nerve", which to my way of thinking sounds definitely beneficial, except for the grossly part, which I think was just a word the doctor used to exaggerate the size of said nerve. In actuality though, that nerve just helps to predispose me to the possibility of developing glaucoma which could leave me blind in my late 80's. I figure by then I will have seen everything I needed and wanted to and there won't be anything worth seeing around anymore anyway. If you know anything about the eye, my pressure is at an acceptable level, even good. That fact makes it a little more difficult to detect glaucoma and so I need to have a doppler test done on my carotid arteries (in the neck) to rule out any kind of blockage that might cause a circulation problem with blood flow, etc. to my eyes. Doc said it's great that I quit smoking, that is the very best thing I could do to slow down glaucoma if I have it or deter it if I don't. I guess the doppler will tell. I'm not worring about it though, no sense in it.
So I got my eyes dilated so that the test (an OTC-I forget what that stands for) could be done. They dilate your pupils and take pictures of the back of your eyes, look at the visceral (?) fluid in the eye, some cup-shaped thing and the nerves and veins in your eyes. It's pretty cool. You're up close to a screen and you see all red with some swirling silvery lights that spin in a circle. Then a yellow light flashes off to the side. You follow the yellow light with your eye while a camera takes the pictures. When the flash goes off, the screen turns a really pretty shade of blue. Trippy baby. It was over really quickly but my eyes took forever to un-dilate. I hate that, you can't really see shit but you can sort of. Forget trying to read or be out in the sunlight. So the hub and I went for an early dinner at a favorite restaurant and then, when I could see better, took a little sidetrip to see if my favorite record store had found a new owner and opened back up. (Crossing fingers) Yippee, it had! My new music guru who had planned to buy the store was working but it turns out that someone else had bought the store. Whatever, I'm just glad it's reopened. Bought an extended EP of Arcade Fire from 2003 that I've been looking for and can't wait to listen to. Also a Collective Soul that comes with an (get this) actual guitar pick from the band inside. While I was there I listened to some Devendra Banhart (Cripple Crow) I had wanted to check out. Was not impressed enough to purchase. He's got a cool voice, a different sound. It was a double cd with tons of songs. About a third of them were Spanish and/or Latin sounding. Not bad really, just different enough to be considered different. Maybe on another day in a different mood I would buy it. Also Listened to Athlete. Forget the name of the cd. It was good, but not enough to buy.
I'm getting tired here. Getting up at 4:30 am is not for old people. Or anyone for that matter. It's just not natural. Roosters aren't even up then. Have a good weekend.
STHTTMMS: My record store has been restored and reinstated! Life is good... :-)
GSL: "It's a beautiful day, don't let it get away." from "Beautiful Day" by U2, the greatest rock band in the world.
RQ: "The soul, fortunately, has an interpreter- often an unconscious, but still a truthful interpreter- in the eye." Charlotte Bront'e

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home