Saturday, January 14, 2006

DOSE OF THUNDER

What ridiculous weather we're having for this time of year. Rain? Thunder? No snow though. Oh Lord, I broke a rule. Just a personal rule, but a rule nonetheless. I swore at the onset of my blogging career that I would never stoop to posting about anything so mundane as the weather. Just goes to show ya...
In an effort to redeem myself, let me share something way more interesting and blogworthy.
I am making an announcement here tonight, er, this morning rather. Been thinking a lot lately about my age, my life, my choices, my mistakes. The odds of me being around 20 years from now could be about 50-50. Maybe a bit more, maybe less. I have pissed away a good chunk of my life being cautious, responsible, thrifty, timid, any number of self-defeating adjectives, not all simultaneously but at intervals (critical) enough to make a difference in whether I lived a meaningful, productive and gratifying life or simply existed. My scale is tipping dangerously in the direction of the latter. That is a very hard pill to swallow; to look at your life, more than half used-up, and realize you have not yet made a difference. Well ladies and gentlemen, I am here to tell you now, there are going to be some changes made here. First thing I am going to do is to quit smoking, get myself an iPod and start training for a new job. Ha! If you are paying attention, you will notice that I've already started. Actually I didn't intend it to work this way but it sounds like I've been planning this for some time and already have accomplished the first three things on my list. I say we let it seem that way. Now my next endeavor is to start an exercise routine and make my body awesome for the vacation I am planning for later this year. I have never been on a "solo" trip (with friends) but have my husband's blessings, so I'm going to enjoy it like nobody's business. And between now and then I am going to find a way to make every moment count. I'm tasting more tastes, smelling more smells. I plan to see more sights, feel more feelings, hear more sounds and live more life. Fifty is not going to get me down, no sir.
Maybe not a dose of thunder exactly but at least a little rumble. I will share the good and the bad of my "new leaf" with you, my friends. What I need to ask from you, though is this. If you see me getting caught up in daily/mundane/trivial/petty/routine/self-defeating/fraidy-cat behaviors, give me a good swift kick in the butt and a stern (but loving) talking-to, wouldja please?
STHTTMMS: The kids are here, my house is full and I am content as heck.
GSL: "Maybe there is a God above / But all I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you. And it's not a cry that you hear at night, it's not somebody who's seen the light. It's a cold, and it's a broken Hallelujah" from Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley.
Disclaimer: I know I said I would not be here today. I lie from time to time. Not big lies, not even little lies. Inadvertant lies. You see, I did not anticipate being wide awake with nothing to smoke, er, I mean do at 2 am while everyone else is asleep. The logical thing to do for me, was Blog.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely ADORE that song, especially as it's sung by Jeff Buckley. I have two or three of his CDs after I was turned on to him by a friend of mine a few years ago. And, just so you know, I'm not turned on by him. Not that there'd be anything wrong with that.

The song, by the way, was originally written by Leonard Cohen.

Enjoy the house full of family. I'll keep my ass-kicking boots handy in case you need them in the future.

8:31 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home