Wednesday, January 11, 2006

MUSIC IS MY LIFE

Since music is just about the only thing these days that can keep my mind off lighting up, let's talk about that. Not the pod, just the jams. I can't talk about the pod without wanting to smoke.
I never really explained how I am with music. It is a passion that borders on obsession. If I woke up tomorrow and there was no more music in the world, I would be hard pressed to find a reason to go on living. Of course I exaggerate but what would life be like in a tuneless world?
I have loved music since as far back as I remember. My dad bought me a transistor radio when I was in first grade. He bought me an AM/FM radio when I was fourteen. In between there somewhere I got a record player and began spending my allowance on 45rpm records (did I lose anybody there?) like nobody's business. But FM changed my world. Dad got me a cassette recorder and I made tapes of all the music I found on FM radio which was SO much cooler than AM. When I was in high school, he got me a stereo with headphones and I thought I died and went to heaven the first time I listened to Smoke on the Water with headphones. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time in my room with the music. I never really got into the music all my friends listened to. Stuff like The Jackson Five, Barry Manilow, ewwww... Even back then I was the one digging through the bargain bins buying piles of records with a hole punched in them because they didn't sell somewhere else. I wish I could remember some of the artists and titles that I listened to. There was one Irish guy with fuzzy hair that I listened to over and over called David McWilliams. Guess he never got famous.
I have never gotten away from music like a lot of people (especially women) my age. And I will give anything a chance. When I was in art school I rode with a kid and he would pick me up every day blasting the likes of The Dead Milkmen, Violent Femmes, The Ramones, Circle Jerks, you name it. I guess you could say I have a pretty well-rounded exposure. (That sounded risque, apologies) I even went through a siege with Country music. I got pukey sick of it but I have about a thousand cds if anyone is interested.
A couple years ago I also got sick of mainstream radio and gave that up. The music wasn't good enough to make up for all the advertisements and crap. I would listen to public radio instead. But after awhile, I just got so that I relied on cds and my record store. I would buy what friends had recommended or just whatever looked interesting. There are 4 or 5 music magazines I read. If I read more than a couple good reviews of something or come across something that really sounds interesting, I will buy on those recommendations. These days, you rarely will see me without my backpack full of ten or so cds that I'm listening to on any given day. Luckily I have a job right now that affords me the opportunity to pop on a set of ear buds and work to music all day if I want. Helps me get through the day more often than not.
I was going to list some of the music I've really gotten into over the past few months but I got real shit to do and must get off here. And I was having such a good time. What am I saying, this shit is real too.
STHTTMMS: JuJu told me that Baby JuJu is waving now and that they may be coming for a visit this weekend :-))))))))))))))))))))))
GSL: You need to help me Reader with these lyrics. The song I think is called "Babylon", Awesome Song but don't know who it is. "Kickin' through the autumn leaves, turning back from home. I'm feeling so alone, climbing on the stairs. I turn around to see you there. If you want it, come and get it for crying out loud. Let go of your heart, let go of your head, Babylon..."
I Love This Song. Babble On ;-)
What does a body have to do to lure in lurkers around here?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's David Gray on the White Ladder CD. I went to see him in concert for that specific song.

7:23 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like David Gray...good stuff.

8:17 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home