Wednesday, December 28, 2005

MORE CIGARETTES
Don't get your bloomers in a wringer, I didn't lapse. It's just that I was perusing a long, long list of Paul Westerberg song titles, came across this one and decided to use it now since I should have no good reason to use it in the future. See how optimistic I am?
Speaking of Paul W., have I mentioned that my wonderful husband (who, for some reason, loves me beyond all reasonable comprehension) gave me for Christmas, an autographed copy of Paul's 14 Songs book/cd set? I thought I was going to have an out-of-body experience! I probably resembled some of those 14-year old hysterical girls in the audience on the Ed Sullivan Show when the Beatles first appeared. One of the coolest gifts I ever got.
I spent the afternoon with my son. (Who is, in fact a smoker and I just realized this minute that he refrained from lighting up the entire time we were together. Thank you!) I had a delightful time as he is one of the most intelligent and funny people I know. But I forgot to discuss with him this most disturbing thing that happened to me en route to his house...
It was horrendous. A virtual massacre. I'm sure you are familiar with the huge inflatable decorations that people insist on parking in their front yards this time of year. You will see cartoon characters, traditional Christmas characters, snowmen; you name it. There is one particular house a mile or so from mine which proudly (?) displayed about 12 of these decorations. That is, until, WHATEVER (and I hate to think of the size and magnitude of this killer) annihilated each and every character. It was horrible to see each of these once-smiling, vibrant, holiday-celebrating inflatables lying in heaps all over the yard. It looked like the aftermath of a field operation gone bad. The casualties, I'm sure had been lying there for hours and I hate to think of the trauma experienced by many other motorists besides myself. Maybe I was more upset, being deep in the throes of withdrawal, I don't know. But I hate to think of any small children witnessing such a morbid sight, especially this time of year. So please, if your yard should be struck by one of these heartless, ruthless killers, at least have the decency to bury the "dead" or at least drag them around to the back of the house where poor innocent little children won't be forced to witness such senseless inflaticide.
Actually though, it was kind of funny. And oh-so-colorful.
No good song lyrics today. Maybe tomorrow. Stay tuned.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got some lyrics here for you, Linda. One of my favouritest bands ever (alas, disbanded a couple years ago) went by the name Big Sugar.

And one of my favourite songs of theirs...

100 Cigarettes

Lord I smoked 100 cigarettes
Waiting on your call but it ain't come yet
I'm waiting for your footsteps in my hall
And I'm watching for this ash to fall

And while I'm counting my regrets
I'm gonna smoke 100 cigarettes

My porch light is on and I've unlocked my door
My eyes are red and my throat is sore
I check my mail and watch my phone
And I wonder when you're coming home

And while I'm counting my regrets
I'm gonna smoke 100 cigarettes

Yes, I smoked 100 cigarettes
Waiting for your call but it ain't come yet
I'm waiting for your footsteps in my hall
And I'm watching for this ash to fall

How much longer can I watch my own TV
Now that I've seen how white my shirts can be
One more smoke, I'll take just one more sip
Before I wipe your name right off my lips

And while I'm counting my regrets
I'm gonna smoke 100 cigarettes

Yes, I smoked 100 cigarettes
Waiting for your call but it ain't come yet
I'm waiting for your footsteps in my hall
And I'm watching for this ash to fall

And while I'm counting my regrets
I'm gonna smoke 100 cigarettes

Before I see the rising sun
I believe I'll smoke 101

12:19 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure they weren't just unplugged?

7:04 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home