Thursday, December 01, 2005

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIE

I am, as yet, refusing to give up my song title obsession. As a result, there may be times that you really have to stretch your imagination to allow the title to fit the post. Depending on how much we think alike, Reader, it may be easy or impossible. As long as it makes sense to me, I'm happy. You can always click on the little X in the upper right hand corner... I have to live here. So as long as you're "under my roof", the title makes sense. Got that?

Speaking of "roof", or more specifically, "rooftop", my post tonight is a result of having watched the movie "Polar Express". I am still wiping tears (not an unusual activity for me, especially at this time of year) and experiencing that warm, fuzzy feeling. What a wonderfully well-made cinematic wonder. If you have not seen this, the Tom Hanks version, I urge you to throw on a coat and rush to your nearest video rental location, grab a box of tissues and sit down and prepare to be impressed. The animation alone in this movie is awesome. The subtle eye movements and facial expressions of the characters are so-o-o cool. If you have great speakers for your entertainment system, they will get a work-out. A few times I thought the Express itself was plowing through my livingroom. But the really great part is that it grabs you and deposits you smack into the part of your childhood that found you struggling with that age-old indecision about the elusive Mr. Claus. Is he real or isn't he? Who's lying, my friends or Mom and Dad? Remember how bad you wanted to believe but the whole sleigh/chimney/North Pole thing just seemed a bit far-fetched?
And if you, now as an adult, are not yet in the Holiday Spirit, it will definitely nudge you in that direction. And if you are teetering on the edge, it will shove you right over.

At different times in my life I struggled with the idea of telling children the whole Santa Claus story only to let them find out later that it was imaginary. Kind of puts the old screws to the whole trust thing. But Believing is a warm, magical state of mind that I think no one should be deprived of or denied. And you really never need to stop. So do I think it's a "lie" worth telling? Yeah, I think I do.

1 Comments:

Blogger FĂ«anor said...

I still remember the night when my mom brought me to the storage/laundry room and had a chair for each of us to sit in. She had to tell me something important. Before she started talking, I knew what it was. My friends had been spreading viscious rumors - originating from elder siblings (I was the eldest in my family) - that Santa Claus was not real. True to my nature, I clung to my belief and defended it passionately even though it caused others to laugh in my face.

I listened to what mom had to say, and then uttered the final words of my surrender: "Does this go for the Easter Bunny, too?" Nod. "And the Tooth Fairy?" Another nod. The great triumvirate shattered, I retreated to my room, forever to be a little more critical of anything that anyone else claimed to be true.

Perhaps, that's the beauty of the beauty of this "wonderful lie," as you call it. We always remember it and those who believed the most tend to learn our lessons and become a little less gullible.

11:09 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home