Sunday, February 11, 2007

I'LL MISS YOU, BUDDY


Someone very, very dear to me died this morning. This picture was taken the last time we were together. He's my father's cousin, Burton, and he was a helluva great guy. He'd been fighting lung cancer for about a year and two weeks ago contracted pneumonia and had been having a rough time of it. So I'm glad he's at peace now. But I will miss him sumthin' fierce. He was so much like my dad. Last time we were together, Burton called me a smart ass; first and last time. I consider that a great compliment. And I say this with the utmost respect- They say it takes one to know one ;-)

Weather permitting, I will be attending his funeral on Wednesday. It's a couple of hours north of here and the weather is usually more severe. I hope I can be there to say goodbye.

************************************************

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1Wink, I am very sorry to read of your loss. It does sound like he lived a good life if you remember him so fondly. Be careful if you go north.

Take care,

NV

12:23 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I offer my condolences and a prayer.

11:39 AM EST  
Blogger Moksha Gren said...

I'm sorry to hear that you've lost a loved one, Linda. But it seems like you're remembering the life of a good man...and that's a wonderful thing.

11:56 AM EST  
Blogger M+ said...

My prayers and condolences to the whole family.

4:12 PM EST  
Blogger Mark said...

Sorry to hear about Burton's passing. Glad you were able to know him, though.

Here's hoping you can make it to the service.

1:16 AM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Thanks everybody, for your comments and emails. I totally appreciate your kind thoughts. As of now, Tue. am, it's not looking good for a trip up, snow looming.

6:15 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry for the loss of your uncle. It's hard to lose someone you really love.

Cas

11:37 AM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Cas: Thank you so much. I appreciate your thoughts.

9:31 PM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Well, it seems my dreaded fear has become a reality. Last night, this afternoon and tonight, Blogger will not let me post without switching to the new Blogger. I guess I will have to decide what to do. In the meantime, I will tell you that we are aboot snowed in. We're having freezing rain right now and I will not be attending Burton's funeral. There is also the very distinct possibility that I will be taking a vacation day tomorrow and staying home. Sounds like a very good idea at this point.
In an attempt to inject a bit of humor here, my friend Mo' said to me yesterday,"Do you think anything ever goes in one ear and then just comes back out the same ear?"

9:39 PM EST  
Blogger Ben said...

My heart goes out to you.

Also, please return my pen.

2:02 AM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Ben: Thanks.
And sorry to say, I've developed an unbreakable bond with your pen; kind of an emotional Gorilla Glue. Can't. Let. Go...

4:19 PM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

To All of You: Go here please:

http://1winkatatime.wordpress.com

Thanks in advance.

4:20 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home