Tuesday, November 07, 2006

QUIET ON THE FRONT

The Number Three JuJu has not yet made an appearance. That is good for me and PD. We are sick and germy and should not be around small children or old people. That presents a bit of a problem for PD in two different areas... Haw haw. (But I make him hang out with me anyway.)

While we are trying to recuperate before #3 comes, JuJuBee is not to be confused with someone who might be described as content to sit and wait for either the recuperation or the arrival of the child. She's got her bag packed and her minivan gassed-up. She's E.

All of a sudden it's time to get back into "Baby Mode." We're barely out of it, being that BabyJuJu is only a bit over 18 months old. It's time to revisit the sections in the department stores that are teeming with teeny pink and blue and yellow and green sleepers and soft, fuzzy blankies. Bedding with teddies and lambs and duckies and music boxes that play Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. Tiny booties and bibs. All those adorable little things that you go crazy over that a baby might wear once or twice, puke all over and have their picture taken in. But you still gotta buy it just cause it's so absolutely adorable.

Time to get all gushy and start talking babytalk and sterilize the binky 30 times a day and wash your hands before you touch the baby. Time to make a place to stack a gazillion diapers and haul out the Genie for disposing of a gazillion diapers.

Time to remember that this little one will not be a baby any longer than any other child and that you have to love, enjoy and appreciate every second of this babyhood. Don't take for granted one coo or gurgle or milk burp. Remember what that tiny hand feels like wrapped around your finger. Relish the feel of his downy cheek on your lips and the scent of his warm little head. Memorize the hiccups and the way the corners of his mouth twitch in his sleep. Etch in your mind the way he looks up at his Mama as he contentedly nurses at her breast. Drink in the feel of the loose skin around his fragile neck, the intricate structure of those itty-bitty ears, the incredible smallness of his fingernails. Revel in the ability of that tiny little human who can demand every iota of your attention simultaneously causing you to forget about the whole rest of the universe. And enjoy it as long as you abso-effing-lutley can.

I gotta get better fast.

*****************************************************

9 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Great post about babies and their fleeting existence (due to rapid growth). There's nothing like them in the world. It almost makes me understand how people can keep crankin' 'em out.

12:19 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What does this mean, that I am "E." ? Is this some new slang you've picked up on the internets?

8:27 AM EST  
Blogger 2complx said...

Great post. very visual.
Are you picking up slang off "the google" on the internets?

10:21 AM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

MARK: You're with me then on this :-)

JU: I'm totally stupefied that you of all people, didn't "get it."

SIMON: After Ju, I thought you might get it. Glad you enjoyed the rest of it.

TC: Thinking of you reading and visualizing this was touching for me. You never mention kids, I assumed that you don't own one. Am I correct? Keep thinking on the big red E, you'll get it. If you haven't already. ;-)

EVERYBODY: I'm not explaining the E, I'll wait for one of you to figure it out.

4:22 PM EST  
Blogger Moksha Gren said...

It's almost cruel to post such well-written and emotional stuff for me to read while I'm at work...away from my baby. Curse your eloquence!

I'm enjoying reading through your site. I followed you here from Simon's place becasue...well...cuz you said I was "cool" and I'm easily bought with complements.

Also, a tip of the hat for being a 50-year-old blogger with Death Cab for Cutie on your music list. I can only hope that I'm so young when I'm 50.

5:40 PM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Hey MG: How nice of you to visit. You're aways welcome here, this is where the Cool People come to badger and annoy me. ;-) And, any friend of Simon's is, well- don't tell him I said this but... pretty damn lucky.
Was just over checking out your little Pumkin; what a beautiful child. Hope you'll come back when I'm feeling better.

9:02 PM EST  
Blogger 2complx said...

TC is without children he is way to cynical for that type of commitment. But I have my sarcastic humor to keep me occupied.

10:24 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I figured it out yesterday in the shower, then forgot to tell you...

1:41 PM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

TC: I respect and admire that you're that in touch with yourself.

JU: Good for you, sweet. I think we should make you a T-shirt with a big red E on it... ;-)

3:39 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home