Friday, November 17, 2006

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME

I apologize for the cranky post yesterday and any others of late. I'm just not myself. Either that or it's the New Me. If that's the case, you have my sympathy. Let's hope not.

I've been writing this post in my head off and on for awhile and if I don't get it out soon, I'll either lose it (the post) or it will be a novel.

I have two lives. One is in front of my face and the other is in my head. Don't worry, at this point they are separate and I'm (still) able to differentiate between the two. I suspect that we all posess both but some are less aware of the distinction or just mainly concern themselves with the more real of the two. I kind of juggle mine and drift in and out and back and forth between mine. Now I'm not sure how y'all handle yours, I've never really discussed the concept with anyone. What may or may not make me different is that I think I might spend an equal amount of time in both on any given day. And often it occurs simultaneously.

Being the eldest of six children, a female Pisces born in the Chinese Year of the Monkey, now in the fiftieth year of my so-called life in Western Pennsylvania are all factors that may or may not contribute to the extent of time which I spend in my life in my head. (I wonder if this is a personality trait that might be determined by any of the above-mentioned qualities or if it's just a coping mechanism or something?) That "life" serves a multitude of purposes. I practice imagery more often than I even realize. I entertain myself with that ablility. In your head, you can be who you want to, go where you want to, do what you want to. When real life gets in your face or isn't as pretty as you'd like or you just can't deal, there's a whole 'nother place to go that is kinder and amazingly user-friendly.

I don't mean this to sound as if I'm less than a functional, relatively (ha ha) normal, productive human being. I should probably say that I spend 8-10 hours a day doing a job that requires less thought than, say that of a rocket scientist. So I do have some time to um, allow for some creative thinking. ( I wonder if exercising my cognitive energy as much as I do might help me escape Alzheimer's? I'm hoping...)

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I think I spend more time in my head than the average person. I venture to say that "it works for me" although Poopy would most likely tell you that it's the root of all my problems. Those problems being: forgetfullness, selective hearing, clumsiness, compulsive list-making (and list-losing), take your pick. Those "problems," in my defense are all hormone-related and temporary. Hah! Anyway...

Is this abnormal? Not that I will stop if you all suggest I'm delusional and need to consult a professional; not that I even probly have any control over it. But I just wonder if I'm alone in this...

Today's song snippet is Strange Combination by T-Bone Burnett from Twenty Twenty: The Essential T-Bone Burnett. The bass makes me HAPPY. Which reminds me, TGIF :-)

*******************************************

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

I know exactly what you mean, and those things poopy tells you it causes -- are exactly the things that plague me. My mind races all the time. I can't just do nothing without a thought in my head, and that usually leads to unwanted distraction.

1:12 AM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

MARK: I never would have imagined this about you. Now I feel a kinship with you. In a way I feel cursed and in a way blessed. How about you???

10:17 AM EST  
Blogger Moksha Gren said...

Sorry I'm late to this post. Went up to Iowa to visit the in-laws this weekend. Norah handled her first road trip like a pro.

Anyway, I used to live in my head more than I do now...and I miss it. I used to spend hours day dreaming stories and concepts. I'd meadner my way to sleep at night, giving myself plenty of thinking time. These days I'm asleep the second my head hits the pillow and I'm more likely to listen to NPR in the car than to my own thoughts. Not sure what changed...but I'd happily deal with some forgetfullness to get it back.

10:17 AM EST  
Blogger The Sassy Orange said...

It's totally a Pisces thing!! I live in my head all of the time. I think it's why I don't care that I'm overweight - my body is just to carry my head around. Lol.

12:22 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home