Monday, August 21, 2006

BACK UP TO... FRIDAY
Telephone conversation: (The purple is me.)
"Heeeey! Sparky's Beer Distributor here. What can I getcha?"
"Hi, please tell me if you carry six packs of..."
" Ah, sorry, no six packs. We only carry cases. What did you need?"
"Abita Purple Haze." (click on link)
"Purple Haze??? You mean like Jimi Hendrix Purple Haze?" whereupon he starts singing "De neh neh neh, de neh neh... as in Hendrix's Are You Experienced?...
I'm laughing at this point.
"Do you carry any flavored beers?"
"No, but if you hum a few bars..." (this guy is crazy!)
"Tell me about this Purple Haze," he continues.
"It's a raspberry flavored beer. I'm having a hard time finding it." (this was the 4th place I called.)
"Never heard of it, but I might have some Hendrix on an eight-track." (laughs.)
"You're funny, what's your name?"
"This is Jimmy. That's J-I-M-I. Who's this?"
"It's Janis," I say, "J-A-N-I-S"
(Laugh, laugh)
The conversation continued, as he arranged to get my name and number and offered to track down my beer. Didn't expect to hear from him 5 minutes later when my cell phone rang.
"Hey" I said.
"Is that how you answer the phone?"
"Um, sometimes. Why? Who is this?"
"It's me, Jimi. I got your beer. It'll be here Tuesday."
"Cool!" I'll be darned.
He told me how much, etc., asked if that was ok (!) and I thanked him, repeatedly.
"So, you wanna hear some more Hendrix??? De neh, neh..."
"It was quite a pleasure doing business with you, Jimmy. Er, Jimi. I'll see you on Tuesday."
"Lookin' forward to it, Little Lady. De neh neh..."
I laughed for the next twenty minutes. I love when shit like that happens... :-)
888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

3 Comments:

Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

AA: Uh, no thanks. This guy was a bit too intense for me!

Simon: It's a mediocre substitute for the "real" Belgian brew (which may or may not be Raspberry Lambic-hard to say. When I start drinking the stuff, one thing that does not improve is my memory...)
LOL I'll send you the number, you can call him ;-)

9:10 PM EDT  
Blogger James said...

used to serve that in a little crap bar I worked in New York.....did you figure out the mystery on my site?

9:39 PM EDT  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

James: I did, I did! I figured it out! Are you two a Blogging Tag team or somethin'??? LOL
Thanks for comin' over... Speaking of Blog mysteries, I have a really funny story to share one day.

7:06 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home