Wednesday, July 12, 2006

FAIR FARE
^^^^^^^^^

Simon's comment about food got me to thinkin' aboot all the great food at fairs. I mentioned Cotton Candy and French Waffles already. Have you ever had a French Waffle??? You Must. They are four and a half times better than a Funnel Cake.

When I used to go back home for the entire Fair Week, I would space out all my favorite foods because, mainly, you can't eat it all at one visit. And you have to save things to look forward to. In no particular order, my favorite Fair Foods follow:

  • Those long, greasy, curly french fries with the skins still on, doused with vinegar served in a paper cone
  • Blueberry and/or root beer snow cones
  • Hot sausage on a hard roll slathered in onions and green peppers
  • Barrett's Peanut butter and Marshmallow Fudge
  • The square icecream cones coated with chocolate and peanuts and a cherry on top
  • Fresh-squeezed Lemonade and Orange Julius drinks
  • Bender's Ham and Cheese sandwiches

I worked for Bender's one summer. The owners turned out to be the grandparents of my first-grade, first love, Leslie Bender. Anyway, these sandwiches were the greatest. We used two ordinary pieces of bread, two beautifully thick slices of swiss cheese and then heaped on aboot a half a pound of insanely delicious chipped ham. Unless you are familiar with this area,(Southwestern PA) you may not know what chipped ham is. It is very, very thin sliced ham. It seems to have a taste and texture all it's own. Yummy, especially with swiss cheese.

I know there are probly other foods that I'm forgetting, I'm sure you'll remind me of some more. I was never really into the Candy Apples or Saltwater Taffy, the popcorn was pretty good though. Tell me what you like.

Now I'm all hungry. I'm outta here.

*****************************************************

Annoying item for today:

32. Wondering, having applied 20 SPF sunscreen, then a layer of 40 an hour later, whether they average out to a 30, add up to a 60, or if it's only the last layer of 40 that counts.

1 Comments:

Blogger FĂ«anor said...

I've always been partial to alligator on a stick, but I guess I'll have to find another favorite since I'm moving away from Louisiana!

11:10 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home