Tuesday, June 27, 2006

LOLA's AFTER DINNER

After dinner I went out on the patio for a schmoke and there was a huge throng of slightly rowdy youngsters hanging there. When I asked what the occasion was, I was told that Lola's was hosting Taxi Driver's Appreciation Night. Well, let me tell you, drivers of Vineyard taxis are some fun people. They had just invited me to join them in a little bit of medicinal tobacco appreciation when some older people younger than me came out on the patio and everyone pretty much scattered. There were some brownies being passed around. Yeah, I ate one, you have a problem with that? Lola made them and they were very tasty.

I went back inside and Kate and I checked out the diningroom where there was an elaborately decorated alcove containing a mannequin wearing an authentic costume that King Paul wore in a Mardi Gras parade at one time. Turns out Lola is married to King Paul. Also turns out that "Lance" who's been hanging out all evening is King Paul's alter ego. He made a really goofy face when I took his picture. We never did find out just who Lola is, it was like it was some kind of big secret. Anyway... she's a damn good cook.
The band was Motown something or other. They were really good. Played some Reggae which I loved. The lead singer was a James Brown type and his female singer was really cool and had a great voice and legs. They did the obligatory "I Will Survive" which I think to be one of the gaggiest songs ever but the guitar player did an awesome solo in the middle. I told him so on their next break and we talked about music for quite awhile. He argued with me that AC/DC is the greatest rock band ever, not U2. Yo! Angus! His name was Kaspar Galli and he came here from Switzerland to make a name for himself. He gave me a cd of his called Stranded and it's pretty good. Just a teeny bit jazzy for my taste, but good. The bass player from Berkley joined in our conversation at one point and was totally impressed when I asked him what ax(e) he played. Thanks Ruby ;-) He was way into Jaco, too.
The crowd there was an interesting mix allright. Saw a woman who definitely had some Kennedy blood. There was a guy who looked like Santa Claus in long shorts with red suspenders and tube sox and high-tops. My favorite was this ancient-looking, well-preserved voodoo princess in a leopard-print caftan who moved around the floor like a spectre as if she was in her own little mojo world. Cool as heck. She knew I was getting a kick out of her cause she smiled and winked at me. A bald headed guy in a Hawaiian shirt with two very young groupies were dancing around and started a train. I joined in until I thought my arms would fall off from holding on. Was fun. Got my dancing fix that night. And slept really good. That ocean air coupled with a good beer buzz and sheer glee makes for some great z-z-z's.
Stay tuned for more adventures.
I found this link to watch a tour of Lola's. I couldn't get it to work of course, but maybe you can. :-)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have bet my unemployment that you'd have met at least one bandmember :-)

12:56 PM EDT  
Blogger 2complx said...

Brownies, Beer, Bands. I love things that start with the letter B. Just look at my profile!

5:15 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a good time. I am so glad to hear that. I am counting down to my next vacation myself!

12:34 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home