Tuesday, May 30, 2006

MY ANNUAL AC RANT
Today is the day after Memorial Day, often viewed as the Official Start of Summer. When I was growing up this was the day that made it ok to wear white shoes. I know, sounds weird now. But yesterday was official at my house in that it was the first time this year that we used the Air Conditioning.

I must interject here- I am not at all a big fan of air-conditioning. Yes, there are days (and nights) here and there during the summer that it is a life-saver. But on the whole, I could live without it if I had to. I realize I really should be very careful what I say here, so as not to jinx anything. But going to sleep yesterday in pajamas under a pile of blankets while it was 82 degrees outside just felt wrong. And you can't shave your legs when the air is on unless you want razor burn from your ankles to your hips.
Our house is BIG. Four functioning floors, including basement and attic. Consequently, when the AC is on, the basement is sub-zero, the first floor is cool and the upstairs can fluctuate between comfortable and stuffy. Forget the attic, it's 110 degrees all summer long. In the course of an hour, should I decide, say, to run up to the attic and fetch a tote of summer clothes and decide to launder them for wearing, I can experience a temperature range of 110 to 10 below in a matter of minutes. Probably not good for whatever part of your body it is which works to maintain 98.6 or so. If there were no AC, it would just be constant 110 degrees. See what I'm getting at?
You see, one thing I detest aboot winter is the fact that you have to wear layers upon layers of clothes. The thing I always look forward to in summer is wearing shorts, little tops, no shoes if I choose. And for gawdsake, no sweaters or coats or sweatshirts and all that crap. But last night before I left for work, I had to put a fleece on to keep from freezing in my livingroom. Oh, and of course then I got a hot flash but that's a whole nother subject...
Just had to get that out. I feel better now. Thanks for listening.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jeff A said...

I love my AC. Couldn't live without it. I hate summer and everything about it. Yes I know I am going to FL and it is very summerish there but thats different, I don't have to work there!

11:13 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Winter is pain. You can stand in front of a roaring fire and still never be truly "warm". In summer, you can easily reverse repressive heat and be comfortable. Don't get me wrong, winter has it's occasional pluses, but I am never completely comfortable in winter, whereas in summer, there are moments.

I am all for less clothing as well, and aside from local laws plus the very real possibility of frightening the hell out the neighbors, I'd be practically naked all of the time!

8:01 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer fresh air instead of air conditioning, but I'm not foolish enough to sweat when I don't have to.

9:02 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW. The difference in the temperature between the floors is huge here also.

10:44 PM EDT  
Blogger JoJo said...

My second floor apartment is 20 degrees warmer than the hottest time of the day. So the air conditioners went in last night. I think I'd die trying to do a massage up here w/o them on a 80 or 90 degree day. But if its not scorching, I'd much rather have the fans in the windows and the fresh air coming in.


Have a good Wed Aunt Wink!!!

6:15 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home