Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I'LL BUY

Compliments make us feel good. Most of us. I know if I compliment Poopy, he'll roll his eyes and likely answer with a "yeah, right." Which offends me a bit, I'm thinking he has no respect for my opinion. And it also hurts me that he doesn't just accept what I say and feel good aboot it. I used to have a hard time accepting compliments and I worked on that. Now I gratefully accept them for the most part. But if someone says "Your hair looks nice" and it's standing up or falling down or frizzing out or something equally disgusting, I can't help but screw up my face and say something inane. I hate when I do that because then I end up thinking to myself, why did he/she say that, do they think I'm blind/stupid/gullible? And then I think, no, they were trying to be nice because they feel sorry for me and my hairable mess. But it turns into this whole exasperating predicament, so I try so hard to just say thanks and be done with it. But I know when my hair looks bad or good, so why do people try to screw with me like that??? Ah, whatever. (Not you JoJo)
What is the greatest compliment you have received? And I bet you guys will say "I don't need compliments." Surely someone once said something that truly made you feel good aboot yourself.
Compliments I've had that made me feel good:
  1. Once my ex-Bro-in-Law told me I looked like a $500.00 hooker. That was in the late seventies, before inflation, and a $500 hooker was a good lookin' hooker.
  2. Same BiL told me he could take me anywhere and I would fit in. (purely theoretical, I don't believe I ever accompanied my ex-BiL anywhere.
  3. A doctor once asked me if I was a nurse. He was obviously impressed with the questions I was asking.
  4. I used to hear this a lot, but not so much anymore. "You have two kids who are how old?!" Or "You have a grandchild?!" Goodbye to those days...
  5. I love when someone asks to see my portfolio (art, not financial, Silly)
  6. "How do you keep your stomach so flat?"
  7. When someone tells me how great my kids are, I smile all over. Even though I can't take credit. When they were small, sure. But they are their own people now.
  8. When people assume I went to college it makes me feel smart. (Yup, it do.)
  9. If someone tells me they enjoy my Blog, that is like the ultimate compliment. It's like saying to me "You put your heart and soul out here and I approve." Now do you understand why I'm such a comment whore? It's my sustenance. I'm a hopeless addict.
  10. When people in the past have offered to buy my artwork, that felt good.

Enough of that. It got boring fast. But I want to hear yours, please. Thanks in advance.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jaco said...

She's learned to say your name. And now she asks for you all the time.

That's the best compliment I've ever had from anybody. Period...

8:35 AM EDT  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Ruby,
So nice to hear from you. Thanks for your input. Don't be a stranger.

8:53 AM EDT  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

And you are all handsome, articulate, sensitive and intelligent. Oh, and you have a wonderful sense of direction (you keep coming here *wink*)

8:04 PM EDT  
Blogger JoJo said...

Aunt Wink, I was hoping you didn't mean me, the hair compliment was cause I hadn't seen ya since you got it cut. :)


Best compliment? 'You look good, how much weight have you lost?' Or...'You have such strong hands' After all, I am a massage therapist *lol*

8:47 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I have sat and stared at the blinking cursor for a bit now and I am having trouble narrowing it down.

My last review at work was nice, when they told me I was valuable because I was cross trained in so many departments.

When people ask my opinion more than once I consider that a compliment, well unless they are just plain stupid then I consider homicide.

At the job I had before I moved down here my boss let me give the engineers hell because I was having to correct their work. They the college educated being corrected by someone who barely finished high school, I am sure it was humiliating for them but it was darn fun for me. Anyway I considered my bosses permission a compliment that I knew what I was doing.

Alright, I will shut up now!

1:16 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I'm super late on this one but my best compliment is so awesome- I must share! Back when I was attending our beloved "college" (ha!) I overheard a guy talking about another girl to a friend of mine. The girl had come to class one day sans makeup and was..well..less than attractive. The guy told my friend that she "looked rough" and was not one of those girls who was naturally pretty and didn't need makeup like Dana. Oh my, I'm blushing just thinking about it!

7:07 PM EDT  
Blogger FĂ«anor said...

I thrive on compliments. On the flip side, I remember insults forever (I mean insults like blatant rudeness - if someone tells me my hair's messed up or I need to shave or something, clothes are wrinkled or something like that - it's just constructive criticism. I brush it off.)

What good is it to put all kinds of effort into yourself if nobody notices?

My favorite compliment is chronicled on the bottom of my post entitled "23" (4/7/06). I was having a terrible day and a kid said something indicating that he accepted me fully and thought I was the shit.

12:15 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home