Monday, January 23, 2006

ALL HE WANTS TO DO IS FISH

Not only is this a really silly song, Paul, you need to get together with Don Henley and get the story straight; All She Wants To Do Is Dance.

But before we get out on the floor, might I draw attention to the fact that I unintentionally may have been a little insenstive yesterday joking about my daily errands. Hostage negotiation is certainly not one of my activities and considering the current story in the news, I have picked a poor time to make light of a situation such as that. My sincere apologies.
Having that said, let me attempt to impart to you, Reader, my passion regarding a simple every-day world-wide activity that has been around possibly since the beginning of time. I would like to hear the words, "Would you like to dance?" maybe as much as I would like to hear, "My name is George Dubya and I'm an Asshole and therefore, resign my position as Pres'dent of the Yewnited States of Amur-ka." Well, ok, just a little bit more.
You see, what better way is there for a person to express oneself than through body language? There is no spoken language to interpret or misunderstand. There is no intonation to give an impression, false or otherwise. There is no stuttering or stammering or inability to find the right words. There is no paper involved, no phone, no PC, no megaphone, no tin cans. It's free, easy and no two people express themselves in quite the same way, so it's a very original, individual thing. How cool is that? Pretty cool but NOT AS COOL as when you set it to music my friend!!!
The only thing I can think of more enjoyable to do to music is, um, well... to clean house. Yeah, that's it. But dancing is a very primal, basic act in itself. It is ultimately a body reacting to a beat. And whether you are dancing to bring about the end of a draught, tap dancing at gunpoint or collecting filthy old Hamiltons (or eeewww, worse) in your g-string, chances are you have a smile on your face and you feel good. I used to go out dancing at least one night a week. I was in great shape and felt great too. I swear, when I quit doing that I started to fall apart.
Once, when my husband and I first started dating, I had fallen and sprained my ankle. On the way to the emergency room, I (jokingly) dramatically wailed "Oh, what if I should never dance again?" My fiance' replied, completely seriously (and this has always stayed with me) "It will be the world's loss."
I have finally, after a lifetime, mastered part of the saying "Live like there's no tomorrow, Dance as if nobody's watching and Work like you're not getting paid" (or however that goes is). I mastered the dance part. Forget the other crap. I can get completely lost in a particular song. I used to be too self-conscious to do that but I don't care anymore. I do however, turn the lights down. Don't need the whole neighborhood gawking in, ya know? My only real requirement is that the music is Loud. It has to feel like you're really there. And since the hubby purchased the entertainment "system" last year, I am complete. All I need is to feel that bass in my tummy and I'm there.
Do you have a favorite Dance Movie? I think my all-time favorite is Flashdance, I love the routines the dancers did in the bars. And the scene with Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman was great. I watched Saturday Night Fever several months ago and it lost a lot of the original appeal, sad to say.
Getting late, I was going to list some of my favorite dance songs. The first few that come to mind are Kung Fu Fighting, Tarzan Boy, You Dropped a Bomb on Me, Play That Funky Music White Boy, Cherry Bomb, So Into You, Long Cool Woman, Carribean Queen, Heart of Glass, Turn Me Loose, oh geeze, somebody stop me! I'll be boppin' all nite long! :-)
STHTTMML: Our supervisor was beginning training today as the people in my department will be starting soon in another department. She was going over some of the different equipment we will be using and mentioned what I thought was "Love Compatibility" I must have made a strange face, she asked me if there was a problem. I asked her to repeat what she had said. She did. It was Glove Compatibility. I still don't know what the hell she meant but it was funny. If you were there.
GSL: "A live wire, barely a beginner, but just watch that lady go. She's on fire, cause dancin' gets her higher than, uh, anything else she knows." From Dance The Night Away by Van Halen
RQ: "Dancing is the loftiest, the most moving, the most beautiful of the arts, because it has no mere translation or abstraction from life; it is life itself." - Havelock Ellis.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I dance like I am having a seizure. It really is a scary thing to see!

12:35 AM EST  
Blogger Jaco said...

You didn't mention EWF. I'm sure it was an oversight. But try sitting still to "Get Away". The first 16 bars of that song drive me a b s o l u t l y crazy... If you don't have it getit. And tell me how much time passed before you moved some part of your body. Pretty hip lyrics to.

9:16 AM EST  
Blogger The Sassy Orange said...

Hmmm, favorite dance movies are Shall We Dance? and Center Stage.

1:49 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home