Saturday, January 06, 2007

LA LA LAND

Had an utterly disconcerting experience this morning. I woke up around 9:30 which was way longer than I wanted to sleep. When I woke I was unusually disoriented and it was several minutes before I could discern what day it was. Granted, I am sleeping in the spare bedroom, a result of lack-of-time/motivation to replace sheets on all the beds since the kids were here for the Holiday. So that (not being in my usual bed) may have had a little to do with it but even after I got up and for an hour or so afterward, it was as if my brain refused to get in the necessary gear to begin my day. The longer it went on the more concerned I was getting. PD sarcastically remarked when I expressed concern aboot my dilemma, that the cause was not having been on the computer. Which made not a lick of sense to me, but I threw together a breakfast of sorts and came here and commenced to clicking on my daily blogroll and within a minute or two I was fine... It was weird. My thinking was just kind of not there. My usual routine on the weekend is to make coffee and sit down and plan out my day. I usually have one or ten "to do" lists floating around from the previous week, with or without individual tasks and activities crossed off. I play catch-up on the weekend. Being that this past week was pretty full, there were a lot of things I need to accomplish today and tomorrow. I couldn't even find a list, so I had to start over. Nothing would come to me. Please don't ever find yourself in a place like that, it's unnerving and a little scary. Kind of like a panic attack but without the physical symptoms. Just brain dead. Or nearly. I'm glad that it seems to have passed. Be glad for me too. One thing I cannot and refuse to give up is [what is left of] my capacity to reason and remember.

*************************************************

6 Comments:

Blogger Um Naief said...

I've had a few mornings like that time and again. I always put it down as not sleeping well or something, or a lack of coffee in the morning. Here lately my sleeping has been terrible, but I've not been experiencing such. It is a scary thing to not be able to think clearly and get your bearings. I've woken up in the middle of the night like that before, or woken up in a panic on a weekend thinking I was late for work or such.

I'm glad things are back to normal now. Funny how waking up in a different place can sometimes do weird things to you.

1:43 PM EST  
Blogger M+ said...

It can be quite unnerving to wake up in such a state of confusion. I get that every once in awhile and it's always an unsettling experience to be so unsure of what I should be doing. I still have no idea as to why it happens either. But things alwasy straighten themselves out before too long. Glad you're doing good.

7:01 PM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Tooners: Thanks for the reassurance. I initially blamed it on the NyQuil but soon realized I hadn't taken any...

M+: Gee, I didn't realize this was so common. What scared me was that it lasted for so long after I was completely awake.

7:44 PM EST  
Blogger Moksha Gren said...

I've certainly had moments like this, but like you said...nothing that lasted so long. I've been known to wake in the middle of the night while still living in a dreamworld. I've freaked out roommates and confused girlfriends with visions only I can see or nonsense projects I must complete with great haste. Not quite the same, I know. I'm glad your feeling better

9:52 PM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

MG: Did you know that when you're asleep your body produces a kind of paralysis that keeps you from moving around (ie. flailing, punching, etc.) in reaction to what's going on in your dreams? My ex-husband's body did not come equipped with that particular feature, so sleeping with him was an, ahem, interesting experience...

Simon: Yeah, I guess I just needed to get me some of that jump-start brain stimulation. You are good at that, Amy tole me ;-)

10:32 AM EST  
Blogger Mark said...

Glad you're brain's firing on all cylinders again. Sometimes I feel like my body hasn't quite shaken that somnolent paralysis.

My mother seems to be lacking that paralysis effect during sleep. She kicks and punches Dad while he's trying to slumber.

What other words can I think of for sleeping or drowsiness?

2:24 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home