Thursday, December 28, 2006

HEAVE A SIGH...

... not of relief, but of longing. If I were allowed to use the time machine that Simon "gave" me for Christmas for just one other thing besides seeing the Replacements perform, I would go back to the weekend and live it over. This was one of the most beautiful Christmas holidays that I've had. I probly say that every year, but I'm impressionable that way.

Ju and Mr. JuJu and the Three Little JuJu Kids left today and I miss them terribly already. Coming home from work to a quiet house, finding PD sullen and alone, was awful. I am never as happy as I am when this house if bustling and brimming with people I love. It doesn't matter if the house gets trashed or the sink is piled high with dishes or the phone is ringing off the hook or whatever, when PD and I have a houseful, I am blissful. God has blessed me with two wonderful kids, a great family and wonderful friends and I feel so fortunate.

The fact that I had to work all week was a holy downer, yes. But that was my own fault for using up all my vacation time this summer and the days that I didn't enjoy, I used up being sick. My friends at work and I are starting a campaign to have our company shut down for two weeks next year before the Christmas holiday. Yeah, right.

But anyway, we had a lovely day, the morning spent with my in-laws, the afternoon with my side of the family and the evening here with our offspring. (Ugh, why did I write that? I hate that word. It sounds like some kind of clone/mutation thing.) The kids, rather.

As an added note, my favorite gift (in real life) came from my grandson, Little J. He presented me with a Rainbow Fish bookmark and Milk Duds. Which he, himself, wrapped. Beautifully.

*************************************************

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so nice to enjoy the holidays. As I look around blogland, I read about so many that didn't.

I love the gift from your grandson. I got a similar (picture for the refrigerator) from one of the little ones at out Christmas celebration. Those are the best.
Cas
Happy New Year

8:12 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark I feel ya on the traveling crap! We drag our boys all over the place too! It sucks! Next year we should protest! Hey good luck with the 2 weeks off thing! Ha! Little J is so sweet! I love when they get old enough that they want to give their own presents. Aiden presented his own from the "Santa's workshop" at school. It's so cute to see their little faces light up when you open "their stuff".


Natalie

8:28 AM EST  
Blogger Moksha Gren said...

I'm glad to hear your holiday went well. And I agree with Mark, I'm so looking forward to establishing the "people come to us" Christmas tradition. The road just wears me out this time fo year.

And as to your comment on my site...I'll try to refrain from countless visits today. I had no idea I was being tracked ;)

10:08 AM EST  
Blogger ... said...

I always miss family but this year, I was glad to get home (we weren't with family, just on a trip). It was nice to sleep on my own bed and listen to my cat bitch at me for leaving her on her own for 12 days...glad you had a good holiday.

3:06 PM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Mark: I've done both, it seems to work out. Some times you go, sometimes they come. The important part is what lies at the end of the journey. And that journey sometimes involves some unexpected adventures, no? You can say whatever you want here. But who pissed in your Froot Loops today???

Cas: About half of the people at work answered "Ah, it was ok." when I inquired about their holiday. It made me very sad. I think society is getting jaded or burned out or something. I still am like a child on birthdays and holidays. To an extent I think these things are what you make of them, excluding the things beyond our control, that is.
I love when children learn the joy of giving. So many kids these days don't.

Natalie: Already gave up on the petition...
Agree 100% with kids and gifts :-)

Mo'Gren: I know, it's hard with kids. But think of us old people too. We have so many drugs to pack, "special" pillows, Depends, heating pads, ice packs, all that crap. Then it takes us longer to get places because we drive so slow. We gotta count out change for the toll booths, stop every ten miles to pee. It's a drag for everybody, really. This all supports my theory that family members should live within a 10- mile radius of each other.

Mishka: Glad you're home and happy. Sorry 'bout the cat ;-)

4:43 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a wonderful visit...the packing wasn't as bad as you all make it out to be! It's the trying to find things when you need them that gets tough ;)

Thanks for a great holiday...off to NY to do it again in less than 24 hours.

3:58 PM EST  
Blogger M+ said...

I suppose this is some thing I'll look forward to when my kids have families of their own. But right now, I'm just happy to have the peace and quiet when they have to go to their mother's family for a Holiday.

9:28 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home