Friday, January 19, 2007

IS MY HOUR UP ALREADY?

Remember in the movie Grand Canyon when Mack and Simon met and they were talking aboot how they felt to behold the canyon? One of them commented that he felt "like a gnat that lands on the ass of a cow... chewing its cud next to the road that you ride by on at (somethingty-something) miles an hour. "

You ever feel completely small? Insignificant? Like if you fell off the edge of the world tomorrow it might be weeks before anyone thought to send out a search party? Sure you have. (Don't make me feel all alone in my wallowing.)

As I sit here mindlessly finishing off the bottom layer of a Whitman's Sampler, I'm thinking how I might enjoy a Do Over. Man, would I. Damn, that chocolate truffle was tasty. Why can't there be a secret third layer of just those babies? I think I might set a precedent for utilizing every possible opportunity for doing over. (That was supposed to give the impression that I would use it to the full extent.)

I had always intended to do something with my life that would leave some kind of mark behind when I left. I'm not seeing that I've come even close to accomplishing that. I'm not seeing that I've even changed the world in any way. I have spent so much time trying just to keep up with this life I've created, there hasn't been time left over for any extra stuff. I might think aboot rephrasing that, I don't feel as if I've created my life. I feel more like I inherited it or that it was assigned to me or something. It's sure not anywhere near what I would have chosen for myself.
Please, don't get me wrong, there are a ton of good things aboot my life, things that I wouldn't change if I had the chance. It's just that things have just fallen a bit short of my expectations. I take full blame/credit. I've been less than ardent in my endeavors to build the life I'd dreamed of.

This is what it feels like. Imagine a writer creating a character for a story. The writer gives this character the characteristics and personality that he wishes, to suit the story the writer choses to tell. The character is fictional so cannot possibly be as well-developed and multi-faceted as an actual person. He can only have the characteristics the writer bestows upon him. This is where I come in. I feel like an actress playing the role of me. I can only be the person that the writer has created, as full or well-developed as that might be. But as far as rounding me out, to a full-fledged real, live personna, I've lost my ability to improvise. I know there are tons of parts of me that could be drawn out and developed but I don't have the energy anymore or the tools to do it. And yet I'm unsatisfied with how I've ended up. Maybe not just too tired to explore, maybe too lazy. Wait no, not lazy- not motivated. Sure, I want to be everything I can be, but who else would care??? So why bother, I guess, is what I'm saying. I dunno. Lately my mind has been going in some weird, unchartered places. I hardly know what I think aboot anything anymore. Could explain why I've been so tired. Been on the road alot in my head.

I always wanted to be one of those people who seemed perfectly satisfied just to be. Just to be. That was never nearly enough for me. And it never will be. There are times when I want to jump out of my skin just to get somewhere else, to experience something new. But lately, ah.
Those feelings are all there, randomly bouncing around inside me. But I just can't get the energy or the motivation to go with them. Sounds like a volatile situation to me. I thought it (this state of discontentment, for lack of a better word) would pass. Feels like it might be here to stay. What concerns me the most aboot all this? Usually I can laugh this stuff off.

It's not funny anymore.

God help me and anyone who has to deal with me...

*******************************************

14 Comments:

Blogger kintheatl said...

I feel like this sometimes, too.

11:10 PM EST  
Blogger Moksha Gren said...

I do know how you feel, Linda, and I hope it passes for you. Infinitie potential whittled down to the rather mundane reality that we live. I was going to be a famous writer, a famous musician, a person's whose thougths and works affected people. Needless to say...I am not. And I think to myself occasionally that I still could be...if I cared enough to apply myself. Needless to say...I haven't.

And sometimes this bothers me. But mostly I realize that I traded some of those dreams for my family and a sane life. Sure, I made the same choice that almost everyone else makes...and sure that makes me pretty dull in my normalcy. But then again, maybe most people choose a normal life because it just makes more sense. Maybe being a tortured artist isn't all it's cracked up to be. Maybe the insane focus it takes to be a world-changing individual wouldn't really make me happy if I were living it.

Or maybe I'm just very good at callign sour grapes ;)

Anyway...what I'm rambling about trying to say is,"Smile, Wink...we love ya."

11:55 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh shit, did I click the wrong link?

Nope this is Wink's site...


Whenever I feel unhappy or discontent with myself I have a little ritual I go through. I will look at myself what I have and what I have become and I will write out a list of the good things and the bad. Then I will read stories about people who have nothing or who would be happy to have even one tenth of what I have. Usually that will snap me out of it for awhile.

If that doesn't work then I bash myself in the head with a hammer till I fall unconscious. Can't be depressed if your out of it!

(disclaimer: Portions of my reply are fictional. An attempt to amuse the author of this blog. I don't really write out a list, that would take way too long and I am too lazy.)

1:29 AM EST  
Blogger Kay said...

I know what you mean. :)
Hey, sorry this is soooo late, but thank you!!! for the nice comment the other day! :)

9:34 AM EST  
Blogger Mark said...

I feel just like this sometimes. More than I care to admit, actually. Yet, here's my little boy, winding up a crank flashlight to make sure it has plenty of power for -- shining it right in my face. He's my mark on the world.

Incidentally, I wrote a post pouring out my heart and soul on this topic way back in November 2005. I think every blogger should have at least one (or maybe just one).

10:13 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey talk about boring and mundane. I'm a stay at home mom. The same routine everyday(except for the different messes to clean up around the house). There are many days I feel like this. Then I really think about my kids and how wonderful it is to have these little creatures to mold. You my dear, have molded your wonderful creatures! People take for granted what their children become because it is "normal" in their everyday lives. Just sit and look at what you've done. You have wonderful children and amazing, beautiful grandchildren. I hate to see you down like this! And hey if that's too boring you could always go squirrel hunting!

Hoping your day is filled with chocolate truffles!

:) Natalie

11:40 AM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Karen: Is it so unsettling for you too? And how do you make it go away?

Mokker:Why don't we try harder? I feel like I've missed the boat, but you're still young. Thanks for your sentiments, though. It's nice to feel cared about.

Jeff: Thanks, you always amuse me. I'm going to go look for a hammer now.

SK: Hi, nice of you to come over. Sorry, you didn't catch me at my exact best...

Mark: Thanks buddy. I'll go read that post. It's bugging me that you young people actually know what I'm talking about...

Nat: Thanks Sweetie. Think I'll go hunting. I'm picturing Elmer Fudd with his fat old finger up to his mouth saying "Ssshhh. Be vewy qwiet. I'm hunting Sqwills..."

3:16 PM EST  
Blogger M+ said...

Maybe I'm just the odd reader out on this topic, but I really, honestly, cannot relate to this particualr feeling. I try to be content in all things. I always embrace my life no matter how exciting, or boring, it may be. Perhaps this comes from having been dead once before - imagine all the things I'd have left undone if I had stayed that way. I'll admit that there are many things that I would like to achieve before I finally shuffle off this mortal coil, but if I never get to them I will still die happy in the knowledge that I've done those things which I did get to enjoy.
Sorry I can't help with this.

5:18 PM EST  
Blogger angelaenvy said...

i think you're brilliant. let me just say that we share a lot more than just similarities in musical taste, we share an outlook on life, and its nice to know that someone else feels like they aren't completely what they could or should be. I really hope we both get out of this state of mind cause personally its driving me BONKERS!! ah.

12:16 AM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

M+: Yay for you Dude! I guess what you're saying is that I need to die to fully appreciate what I have? Guess I'm not using the hammer hard enough or in exactly the right place. Right between the eyes, maybe?

A NV: Sheesh, kiddo. I should be setting a better example for you. I'll get right on that! Although, I think it's kind of good for someone your age to feel like this, it will keep you motivated. Just don't let yourself get to be old like me and still be feeling like this. You got LOTS of time to do something about it.

12:09 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wink - I'm back, finally! Three weeks of alternating between stubborn colds and a weird eye ailment that made me look a bit like the freaky guy in the basement in the Goonies have kept me mostly off-line, huddled in misery. Thankfully, the plague is passing and my face has returned to normal:) I can really sympathize with these feelings. In fact, a few months after Norah's birth, I was feeling really low and went to a counselor to talk things out. I thought I was just having trouble adjusting to the challenges of parenthood. I was having constant crying jags, I felt bored and irritated all the time, and I couldn't get motivated to do anything that would make me feel good. To my surprise, the counselor told me in my first session that I was having classic signs of postpartum depression. I was prescribed some really great medication (no side effects, no drug interactions) and started feeling better within weeks. I've been working on writing this story as a guest blog on Moksha's site, but it's taking some time for me to get it just right. Anyhow, just wanted to relate my experiences and say that no matter what causes the feelings (being a nut-job, like myself, for example, or just feeling low because of a specific situation) the important thing to remember is that people love you and you won't feel this way forever.

12:38 PM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Moonshot: You have no idea what your comment means to me. All the others mean a great deal, yes. But just the fact that you, Mrs. Mokker, took the time to come here and share your feelings, I dunno. It really made a difference for me.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Glad you're feeling better, really. J. and N. are very lucky people. :-)

3:48 PM EST  
Blogger kintheatl said...

Karen: Is it so unsettling for you too? And how do you make it go away?

I don't know that it ever really goes away. I think I allow myself days where I mourn dreams that have been lost along the way. I am really good at keeping unsettling thoughts at a distance far enough away that I don't become paralyzed by them. I know I have things that I must do and I know that in order to do them, I must remain positive. And I try to remember all the things I've done well because I think it's too easy to forget those things.

10:14 PM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

K: Normally, I'm really good at keeping these feelings at bay. Right now there are a lot of factors that I have no control over that I just need to come to terms with... I have more responsibilities now than I have time to keep up with and there just doesn't seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel. This has been a "heavy thinking" weekend for me and I am working on moving in a more positive direction. Part of the problem for me right now too, is beating myself up because I've let myself down and now I'm being more self-centered than I think is fair, mainly to those around me who depend on me and are used to me being way less selfish than this... And winter is here, NOT my favorite time of year. But I'll be ok, I'm sure. I'm working on entry that will explain some things. Thanks :-)

10:33 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home