Thursday, December 21, 2006

AVOIDANCE TACTIC # 147

147. Alphabetize your cd collection.

Guess what I did last night? (You all know me so well.)

You see, my Christmas gift from PD is a huge cd cabinet. I should take a picture but that requires time I don't have. It holds 542 cds if I remember correctly. There are 7 shelves and they are aboot 80 cds wide. I started with Arcade Fire and got as far as No Doubt. I have 3 empty shelves yet. I'm hoping to save the last two for movie soundtracks and compilations, but I don't know... Initially I invited PD to include his collection with mine but he assured me that both would not fit. I guess it's kind of a good thing he didn't wanna. As it is, I packed up all my country cds and put them in a box. I hadn't listened to them in a few years. I did rescue 3 or 4 that I just can't part with.

Normally, I NEVER open gifts before the holiday but this cabinet was kind of taking up a whole lot of space hiding in the dining room. And we decided that if we set it up in the living room, we could remove all the other pieces of furniture that were storing cds and free up some space for entertaining. So, I broke a rule. Don't tell Santa.

So now I will have all my music (at least the cds) in one place. And in order. What a time saver that will be. And Lord knows, I need all the time I can get.

I'm also beginning to think that I need all the time management counselling I can get.

Natalie, get off here and go do your homework, dammit. ;-)

*****************************************

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm fine tuning my avoidance techniques! Anyway who can do homework when they live in a zoo? No wonder the only thing monkeys do is throw poo at each other! Right now I happen to be avoiding the last few dozen of cookies that need making. Knit one, pearl two!

;) Natalie

6:57 PM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Nat: I hear you... But I gotta tell you, if you keep referring to our "inside jokes" (k1 p2)people are going to think you're as nutty as I am ;-) That was funny though...

8:45 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well being nutty doesn't seem to bother anyone here. They keep coming back! Nat

9:41 PM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Um, Nat. It's just you and me here, sweetie.

10:42 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You two are psycho!

I mean that in a good way though!

12:58 AM EST  
Blogger Moksha Gren said...

Have fun sorting, Wink. As Simon says...the order is important. In addition to his list, I would add release date to the order.

I risk getting in trouble by bringing this up here...but this is a source of conflict between Moonshot and I ;)She filed Pink Floyd under "F"! But, at least I've finaly talked her into not putting a cd into the wrong case as a "temporary" holding place.

I should also add..in the interest of full disclosure that at least Moonshot tries to file them back. I tend toward a very careful initial ordering followed by a random stacking of the played cds in a "to be refiled" pile. Equally annoying in its own way.

And if I don't talk to you again before, have a wonderful Christmas and I'll "see" you when I get back in town.

11:01 AM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Jeff: Very perceptive ;-)

Simon: Last names of course. And never by "The", although I have one cd by The The. So, that rule does and doesn't apply... Thank you for your guidance and concern in an area of your obvious expertise. Let me know if you have any questions aboot grandkids, art or sex.

Moksharamadan: Release date? Forget that Dude. I have a hard enough time reading some of the band names on the cases, let alone those little itty bitty dates. I keep a list of my music and recently started recording the release date. Some have the dates in really obscure places or not at all.
Definitely not "siding" against anyone, I would file PF under P, fer shure. I had a helluva time trying to figure out where to put Tommy James and the Shondells. Good thing I don't own any Huey Lewis and the News or
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Where would you put TJ and the Ss? I think I will put it under J.
Since most of the compilations have weirdass titles, I might just group them by color ;-) It's a fun project, I'm surprised. I have a lot of cds I forgot I had. That's not cool, but whatcha gonna do? There are only so many hours in a day.
Somewhere in a stray case is my Johnny Cleeg and Savuka cd. Damn if I can find it. There's another one that's going to be hard to file. Under C I guess. I also found an empty REM case and a Deep Forest case...
Hope you have the best Holiday yet. Tell Jet Happy Christmas for me and we'll be missing you and Moonshot.

3:20 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always read just a little more than I wanted to know in these comments of yours.

10:37 AM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

JU: I don't get you- for once, there is no "objectionable" material here... Is it that you didn't want to know your mother is psycho? You knew that already! ;-)

11:07 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are an expert in the areas of grandkids art and....stuff. That's what! We all know our parents don't have or know anything about...stuff. Especially Gram.

6:00 PM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Ju: Aw, geez, I forgot about that. Sorry, Sweetie. That's twice in two days that I've apologized... Maybe I should clean up my act. There's a New Year's Resolution for me.

6:07 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home