Monday, February 27, 2006

LET THE BAD TIMES ROLL

Every time I sit down here to post, all I can think aboot is the aftermath of Katrina and how, even now, (what is it, six months passed?) it is too upsetting for me to watch. Film I'm seeing of New Orleans and Mississippi looks like it happened last week. WTF? I realize that it will take years to clean up and rebuild but not enough is being done. One state alone still has 1,902 people missing and unaccounted for. Mardi Gras is going on, I'm not sure how I feel aboot that yet...
But I feel so utterly helpless and the pain I feel for those poor people who lost everything they've worked their entire lives for means not a thing to them. The trailers that have been bought and paid for with taxpayer's dollars are sitting in fields sinking in the mud... A couple finally received a trailer last week and it's sitting locked in their (once) driveway because they haven't been issued a key. Everything is tied up in red tape and bureaucracy. Huge bulldozers are sitting idle in the midst of piles of what once were people's homes. I can't stand it.
There are thousands of people in Mississippi living in tent cities who must shower outdoors and use portable toilets. The walkways are flooded with stagnant rain water and the people complain of mosquitoes and other bugs. Mid-March they will be told they have to leave and most have nowhere to go. It is obvious to me that this is way more than our government can handle and as a result, they are turning a blind eye. You already know all this, I'm just venting. I haven't been Proud to be an American for quite awhile now but especially not today.

"The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity." - George Bernard Shaw

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, what you said!

12:39 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home