Friday, February 17, 2006

DON'T GET MARRIED...
Until you're good and ready.
I won't kid you. It wasn't "Love at first sight" for me and Poopy Do. Although, he will be more than happy to tell you that, at first sight, I turned and looked away. What he did not see however, was the smile on my face as I turned away... A girl can't look too hopeful or too interested or too... available. In all honesty, I was sick of the bar scene, sick of men in general when I met PD. Yeah, he was very cute, but we were both at aboot the same point in our lives. Each of us had left our respective mates two years before. We had each dated and attempted permanent relationships but were tiring of the whole game. In fact, the night we met, he was wearing his wedding ring on the wrong hand to remind himself not to ever involve himself with another woman. Imagine that. Our meeting took place in January of 1990. He will tell you he did the legwork to arrange our meeting. I will tell you that I waited until he was talking to my brother and a mutual friend to take the opportunity to "present" myself. The mutual friend had told him previously, I guess, that I was an artist. After we'd been introduced and a bit of time had passed, he asked if I would be interested in doing some artwork on his truck. I had never done anything like that but agreed to attempt it. He asked me out to dinner to talk aboot it. I accepted. We talked about everything but his truck over an excellent dinner. After dinner, we went to a dance club in an old converted barn called Sunset Grove where Poopy's cousin's rock band was playing. Had a great time there inside and outside under the stars.
Seven months later, we were engaged. Ten years later, we were married. Yeah.
That "First Date" was 16 years ago today. We are going out tonight to recapture some of that sweet, sweet romance as we do every year on this night. You all have a good night too. :-)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow......16 years. Good for you guys. Hope you had fun!

4:55 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember that night! Happy 16 years of dating!

5:07 PM EST  
Blogger The Sassy Orange said...

Beautiful story.

10:47 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home