Saturday, February 11, 2006

PORTLAND

I once knew a guy who moved to Portland.

Luckily no one has asked me to explain why I chose the title for this morning's post. I actually had a very good reason for it when I started. Now I don't know if I even wrote what I had to say that made it a good choice.
Today was a "lay about" or aboot, day. Is that a Canadian term? I've seen it a couple of times (referring to me) and wondered where that came from. We don't say that "down here". I'm getting so accustomed to talking to Canadians, I often automatically write words like colour, favourite, honour, apologise, realise. All in all, if the Canadians I've met here are a true representation of the citizens of the beautiful country to our North, I would have to say, it's a Nation of Nuts. KIDDING! Seriously, I will say they must be fun, genuine, and good people. I have to ask a question now and I'm embarrassed not to know the answer and if I offend anyone I'm Sincerely Sorry. Is Canuck a derogatory term? The reason I ask is that it's shorter and easier to type than Canadian. And with me getting old like I am, I'm constantly looking for faster ways to do things. I don't have time to be typing out words like "Canadian" all the time. Why you put "u's" in your words makes me think you have more time up there than I do here.

I can cross a couple things off my list. I did the checkbook, laundry, took Do to the bank yesterday. Oh, and on the way home from there, stopped at a new shop called "Pie Country". Talk aboot died and went to heaven... I could smell the baking before I even opened the door. And once I got inside, oochie wow-a. It smelled soooooooooo good.

Need to run now.

3 Comments:

Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

What might "Hoser" mean, Si? Like, "Homey" or somethin'?

2:53 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering that very same thing about the word 'canuck'. The hub and I met a very nice Canadian couple on our honeymoon and I once referred to them as the 'canucks'...in front of them. Then I felt incredibly embarrassed, and wondered if I insulted them. I stressed about it the whole rest of the week. What a relief!

7:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

4:19 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home