Sunday, February 12, 2006

FOLK STAR
I buy a ridiculous number of cds. At any given time, if I'm in the mood for something new, I have an unopened stash of music. I know, its nuts. A guilty pleasure, of which I have many. My purchasing habits are erratic and posess no rhyme or reason. There are a few artists whom I love dearly and will buy any and all of their work, good or bad, just to own their entire discology. If I find a great bargain on a cd that I even think I might like, I will buy it. If someone recommends music to me, if I'm feeling good aboot that person on that particular day, I might buy that cd. If I've been looking for a particular piece of music for a long time, I will buy it just because I finally found it. Maybe I'm not in the mood for that music at the time; I will be at some point. I have been known to actually purchase music because I really adore the artwork on the case. Don't dismiss me for being ditsy so quickly, I have found some really cool tunes that I would never have known aboot any other way. It's my money! And I rarely pay full price for anything. I'm ditsy AND thrifty. I can say that four times fast without messing up. Number five comes out "fritsthy and dithty". Tell me yours.
Anyway, where was I going with this? Oh! So this morning I decide to keep the exercise thing going. I have actually managed to get a work-out routine going and if I skipped today it will have all been for naught. I must have tunes for motivation, as with most things in my life if you don't know this aboot me yet... Yesterday I ripped open a John Hiatt cd that I've had for aboot 3 weeks now. It's "Y'all Caught? The Ones That Got Away 1979-85". I can't imagine my life before John Hiatt. He's an artist that I must own the entire collection of work of. What did I just say??? You know what I meant. Lot's of times it's hard to find music with the just-right beat for working out. This cd was so good, I just paced myself to it rather than find something else to play. And I got that burn going and started to feel that "high" kick in and didn't want to stop, even though Do keeps warning me to start out slow or I'll regret over-doing it. He's been mothering me a lot lately, I think he forgets how old I am. I hate to remind him because then I'm reminded. I do appreciate that he looks out for me. Mostly.
Back to John. If you're not familiar with his music, imagine a voice that spreads from your ears down into your soul with the consistency of honey and molasses and just as thick and sweet. The male equivalent of Joan Armatrading in voice quality, imo. Rich and full-bodied, ear candy.
His song writing is honest and soulful. He sings of guts and dirt, living and dying, and all things real. He can be brash and crude and sensitive and fragile. His guitar playing, well, sounds great to me but I'm not a great judge of that. He's no Rory Gallagher or Jeff Beck but I would put him in a room with B.B. King or Mark Knopfler and I think he could hold his own.
If you should check out this music though, the two best tracks I think are Love Like Blood (You'd like this, Ruby) and She Said the Same Things to Me (which is aboot the woman I would like to be in another life, bad to the bone and proud of it...) Maybe someday (just maybe *sigh*) I will learn to operate audio or podcasts or whatever they are and could share with you. That would be so great!)
Going to go finish watching Elizabethtown. Orlando Bloom is looking well, I must say...
STHTTMMS: The tons of snow we got overnight is really pretty. Hope it's still as pretty when I go out later to unearth the Toyota... Or unsnow it, rather.
GSL: "I'll take your tears for drinking water, make your pain sweet company. You can lay all your burdens on my shoulder, Girl. You mean that much to me." John Hiatt, "Love Like Blood" from Y'all Caught?.
RQ: "Where there's music there can be no evil." - Miguel De Cervantes

1 Comments:

Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

RC,
I oughtta slap you, you smart ass. Further more, I am going to leave your typo on here FOR ALL TO SEE just for rubbing in the fact that my iPod is Still idle...
:-Þ

5:23 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home