Sunday, January 08, 2006

SATELLITE
I had no idea how I was ever going to be able to use this song title for a post since I'm so not into Space and Shit. But just now I "needed" to post since I'm having a really bad crave and need to remove my brain from that mode to an occupied one. I thought how satellites bounce things off and figgered, hey, I'll bounce some random thoughts around. Seemed like an excellent idea...
For anyone who is considering watching Wedding Crashers, I have this to say to you. The concept of the movie is downright genius. I guarantee that if you watch it, at some point in your viewing you will ask yourself why you never considered a career in nuptial celebration invasion yourself. John and Jeremy, who pose as unlikely brothers in the movie have the whole crashing thing honed down to a perfect science. They have determined the odds accurately enough as to whether the bride is a crier, what finger foods will be served at the reception, you name it. John can look at a beautifully wrapped wedding gift and surmise exactly what the box contains based on size, shape and weight. I have been to weddings that would have benefitted from the attendance of these two Life-of-the-Party dudes. At first I had trouble imagining the pairing of Owen (Wilson) and Vince (Vaughn) but was actully surprised that they played well off each other. Of course the story is a bit hokey and predictable but if you don't raise your expectations too high, you'll find enough humor in it to say it wasn't a total waste of time. Christopher Walken, a favorite of mine, is true to form and perfect for his part.
By the end of today, there should be no more Christmas cookies, stale or otherwise in my home. I must impart though, that they have been life-savers on more than one occasion during my quest for a smoke-free existence. They will be sorely missed. I have one more unopened box of chocolates under the tree. Do not, for the sake of your children and your children's children dare to find yourself anywhere near the path between me and it.
I have proof that I am spending too much time on the computer. I was sound asleep at 8:45 this morning, deep in a dream. Not a great dream, not a bad dream, just a run-of-the-mill can't-remember-anything-particularly-outstanding dream. All of a sudden, in the lower righthand corner of the "screen" of my dream, a little blue box popped up announcing that a contact had just signed in. I woke up just as readily as I would had my alarm clock buzzed me awake.
I finally tracked down the book I've wanted about the Art of Face Reading. It is ordered and I am looking forward to it's arrival at my door. I am really anxious, I think it will be really fun and interesting to learn. Although, I'm hoping not to lose interest, which is my normal scheme. If I had a dollar for every subject I've attempted to master and lost interest along the way, I'd be rolling in it. As I result, I have a teeny bit of knowledge about a zillion subjects but am a master of nothing. I know a bit of Spanish, a bit of Japanese, a bit of Francais. I can read and write Russian but can't carry on a conversation. I can do some body work on a car. I can wire a light switch. I know maybe more than your average Joe on the street about wines but not nearly what I would like. I can hold my own on Jeopardy but the final question stumps me probably 90% of the time. (That pisses me off cause about 50% of the time, I knew the answer, it just would't come to me.) I've taught myself Calligraphy. I started to learn the guitar years ago. Got my callouses and gave it up. Stew-pid. I could go on and on, But I'm getting bored with it, so I'm quitting. Prematurely. Subjectus Interruptus.
I find myself talking about me more often than I'd planned when I started this blog. They tell writers though, to write what you know about. That might explain it. Although don't for a second think that I consider myself a writer. That would be funny. But see, I'm not big into current events. I hate sports with about the same amount of passion that I love music. Religion is kind of a private subject for me. I could talk about my grandkids non-stop for days but that would get old for you, my Readers. The weather is no fun to write about. I know a good deal about art but how much can you say? That's an individual thing too. And since I don't know how to post pictures yet, you wouldn't know what I was talking about anyway. So as long as you don't get sick of me, I'll go on as I have to date. We can talk about you too (U2!). Feel free to interject at anytime. And if you ever want to know anything about me, ask.
STHTTMMS: I found a little slip from a fortune cookie that I'd gotten awhile ago. (I can't throw those things away. They don't take up much room anyway...) It said "The man who has no imagination has no wings." It reminded me of how the ability to dream and pretend makes my life so much more interesting. A friend once shared his opinion that God gave us talents to keep ourselves amused (with). I had never looked at it in just that way. It made me smile.
GSL: "Well, she's kind of like an artist, sittin' on the floor. Never finishes, she abandons; Never shows a soul. " from Achin' To Be by The Replacements.

9 Comments:

Blogger JoJo said...

You are MUCH better at this blogging thing than I am. I just finally today figured out(with the help of reading instructions, go figure) how to change the darned links on my blog. Btw....I linked to you, I hope that's okay....

Lots of Love!

1:26 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"And she's kinda like a movie everyone rushes to see, and no one understands it, sittin' in their seats" I'm a fan too, ya know! A woman I used to work with got me listening to them. I'll never forget the day she asked me "Have you ever heard of The Replacements?" I wonder if I ever thanked her for introducing me...
(wink wink)

12:02 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to watch that movie but convincing my wife is a whole different story!

2:19 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We loved the movie, bought it yesterday...think I will also buy the soundtrack, I bet you'd love it!

3:15 PM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Dana, you're an angel. I had forgotten my one and only 'Mats recruit. How remiss! Thank you for reminding me!

5:23 PM EST  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Yes Ju, the soundtrack is not bad. There's a Guster song on it I like and a couple of others. But too many concertos and wedding marches for my taste... Thanks tho. What was your favorite part?

5:25 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hiya. You posted on my blog a few nights ago with a question regarding the Goo Goo Dolls post? Wanted to know who I would compare them to, if I am remembering correctly? Check out a couple of the links on my latest post and maybe that will help you? ;)

http://aanadin.blogspot.com/2006/01/got-music.html

7:38 PM EST  
Blogger The Sassy Orange said...

OMG - I don't throw away my fortunes either - I just can't do it.

9:17 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, i agree that this is entertaining AND well written.

why'd you go back into your shell?

12:25 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home