Tuesday, January 03, 2006

DATE TO CHURCH

Tell me Reader, what was the strangest place you were ever on a date? Or the coolest place?
I personally have never been to church on a date, althought I did meet my first husband after CCD class which was like Sunday afternoon catechism when I was in high school. Cool part was, he was one of the instructors. Someone had dropped a kitten off outside the church and he was trying to find a home for it. I didn't take the cat but the next time I saw him, he asked me out and the rest, as they say, was history. For about 15 years anyway. This might sound a bit odd but he was actually only 6 years older than I.
I will share with you one of the coolest dates I remember. My date was "too cool for school".(Not a dropout, just a figure of speech.) Now that I think back he kind of reminds me of Harry from "Night Court". He wore suspenders and the same hat, but he had long curly hair and was way cuter than Mr. Anderson. He took me first to a really ritzy restaraunt with valet parking and we had escargot (my first time) and some other really good food that eludes my memory. After dinner we drove to the Point in Pittsburgh. If you are not familiar, it is a park where the rivers meet. There is a fountain out in the water. It is beautiful at night, especially when you see the lights from the boats on the rivers reflecting in the water with the moon and stars in the background. We walked and talked and sat and talked and at one point he "serenaded" me with his harmonica. I never realized until this very moment how hokey that sounds but it was so very, very amazing and cool at the time. Enough to make a girl fall in love.
That, and Simian's post made me smile today...
Lyrics: "And so it is just like you said it would be/ Life goes easy on me most of the time. And so it is the shorter story. No love, no glory, no hero in her skies." from The Blower's Daughter by Damien Rice

2 Comments:

Blogger Jaco said...

It had been over a year, she told me, since her man was fortunate to have been off the oil rig when it went down off the coast of Newfoundland. A week later he was hanging out on the rocks soaking up the mid day sun and remembering the friends he'd lost. And just like a whip a wave came over and swept him off the rock and out to sea. She took me to that place on our first date and then took me to their bed. After that we would see each other a few more times when I was in St. John's. But I dont think her heart ever mended. I still have a postcard from her dated September 1984. I've kept it all this time because it reminds me of how quickly life can change. And when I rediscover it from time to time, it just shows up out of nowhere, I weep for her and I weep for how in my selfishness I wasn't able to be of much comfort to her.

9:30 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, if I had given escargot to any of my previous dates they would have slugged me for giving them slimy snails. Most of my dates were happy with McDonalds!

12:42 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home