Monday, October 16, 2006

_____________________
HELLO
MY NAME IS


_____________________

If you find yourself amid a group of strangers in a social setting, say at a wedding reception, and for whatever reason there is no one conducting introductions, will you introduce yourself? I usually will find some kind of remark appropriate for whatever is going on, usually with some degree of humor to kind of gauge the mood of the group and then introduce myself. I have always "tested" new acquaintances in a similar way, just to find out if joking around will be acceptable to that person or persons. I do the same thing with propriety, and then conform to whatever seems acceptable in the situation. I don't know if I said that right but I think you know what I mean. I "feel out" the group and then behave appropriately. (Or not, depending on my mood or level of alcohol injested... *wink*) Following is an example of this, I will try to keep it short.

Quite a few years ago I developed a ganglion cyst on my wrist. My doctor referred me to a surgeon for an examination. When he stalked into the examining room, one look at the man gave me a sense that I would not be joking around in my usual way, not even a little. He was a smallish, bookish-looking man with thick glasses, not much chin, a receding hairline, heavy brows, and a pasty pale complexion and a stern, no-nonsense expression. He looked to be aboot sixty and stood poker straight and seemed to be completely stiff. He held my chart in the crook of his arm much as a student might carry a textbook. He introduced himself; I, myself and we shook hands. Not terribly firm but being a woman, I rarely receive firm handshakes. I think most men are not sure how much strength to exert when shaking a woman's hand. I wish they would get over that. I think I surprise some men with the firmness of my own. Handshake. Anyway...
He examined my wrist, asked numerous questions which I answered respectfully. He told me my options for treatment and I told him that I would like some time to decide how I wished to have it treated or removed, whatever. We agreed that I would schedule another appointment when I had made up my mind. He had never smiled. He picked up my file with one hand, shook my hand with his other and turned to leave. He had one hand on the doorknob when I said, "Excuse me, Doctor. I have one more question. What causes these cysts?" His face relaxed into an easy grin. "In this case, I would have to say high intelligence and good looks." He winked and closed the door behind him.

Blew me away. Anyway, the cyst went away on it's own.

The last medical procedure he did for me was a colonoscopy. Just before I lost "awareness," I remember asking him if I could have another pillow under my shoulder. "What kind of insurance do you have?" I told him and he leaned over and said "Sorry kid, they only cover one pillow." I think I had three when I woke up...

"Jonathan," as he allowed me to call him, became my surgeon of choice for many years until he (regretfully for me) retired and moved out West. Where I'm sure he's still wearing this get-up, as he was the day I hugged him and wished him all the best in his retirement. I still miss him.

***************************************************

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, he really wore THAT?

10:07 PM EDT  
Blogger Um Naief said...

there's nothing that beats a good doctor. i have found that out by trying to find drs. here... which is an almost impossible task, especially w/ dentists.

i'm pretty shy in social settings, depending. usually i won't make the first move unless i'm face to face w/ someone and then i'll introduce myself. or maybe i've become more shy living here, because i usually do not introduce myself in social settings here.

5:14 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man I wish I could bond with my surgeon. So far the only thing I like about mine is the fact that I can fit my fingers completely around his throat!

8:33 AM EDT  
Blogger ... said...

Reaffirms my believe that no one can judge a book by its cover...I love being surprised like that. Great story and glad the cyst went away.

9:15 AM EDT  
Blogger Mark said...

That was a great story. Your doctor's garb reminds me of a certain ship captain on a tv series that suffered an untimely cancellation.

I am MUCH more restrained at the office than socially. I'm talking goofiness here, not wild-ass drunken binges -- I don't do those. People up here, for the most part, have absolutely no idea. In fact, sometimes I worry that I come off as downright boring at work -- probably because I have zero zeal for (insert very boring, dry product our company produces and supports). Some people really get into this stuff, and that's fine.

11:56 AM EDT  
Blogger Mark said...

Okay, didn't answer your question.

I like introducing myself. I'm just not very good at remembering to introduce others (or I avoid it because I don't know their name).

12:00 PM EDT  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Excuse my language kids, but
FFFFUUUUCCCCKKKK !!!!!
I just responded to each and every one of these thoughtful comments in a perfectly personal and witty way and it took aboot 10 minutes. I then dutifully typed in the effing stupid "word" verification and hit Preview.
"Sorry this Page cannot be viewed." You M.F.
Sorry- I AM PISSED.

5:16 PM EDT  
Blogger 2complx said...

interesting how sometimes we miss-mark people at first passing. I think most of the time we are right but it is nice to have a curve ball thrown once and a while.

10:14 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tourettes?(spelling?)... Hey i am lucky enough not to have a surgeon quite yet. But im pretty sure hes not gonna be a friend when the time rolls around. I recall when i was little, kicking a nurse as she tried to give me a simple shot in the arm. We'll see what happens to the surgeon

1:20 AM EDT  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

BUIE: Hi, thanks for visiting and for your input. I know someone who shares your name :-)
SIMON: I'm not impotent. Or my fury rather ;-) But thanks a lot for this suggestion. You know, this shit only happens once in a great while but it's always when I've put a lot of time and effort into something...
TC: I love curveballs. Always good to hear from you. WH!!!

8:19 PM EDT  
Anonymous ed pills online said...

Wow, what an amazing giveaway!! Thanks so much.
Thank you for providing such a valuable information and thanks for sharing this matter.

12:42 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home