Thursday, October 05, 2006

SHAAAAAA-ZAM !!!

You guys gave me some really good answers. I had decided before this what my answer would be and then after extensive thinking for, oh, I don't know, a few minutes, I changed my mind. (Jeff, that's a woman's perogative. Pay close attention, accept it, and then just get over it.)
My initial answer was the same as Jojo's, but with a twist. I thought I might like to be able to read people's minds but also to be able to control their thinking. But I decided I am not intelligent enough to always know the best direction to sway their minds. I would end up probly just causing a huge ball of chaos in the world, much like it is in reality. The difference would be that people would have no idea why they were thinking what they were. Wait. Maybe that's not such a big difference after all.
So then I started thinking what kind of power would really benefit mankind. I looked around me, at the people I know, the people I love and just people in general and they all had one thing in common that I knew they might not miss if someone (me) had the power to eradicate that commonality. (Is that a word? I think so, it sounds good.) If I could have a superpower, I would very much like to be able to take away pain. Any kind of pain. Heartache, arthritis, migraine, labor pain, whatever. I realize that God gave us pain for a reason. If you touch a hot stove, and it hurts, you know not to touch it again because you will get burned. But think of, for instance, a child who was caught in a housefire or a car accident and has suffered third-degree burns over 60% of his/her body. That child should not have to suffer with that kind of pain.
A victim of a drunk driver might be injured to the point where he or she is not able to work and might lose a house, etc., etc. and feel the pain of finding him or herself homeless. That is not fair.
These sorts of circumstances could be made bearable if someone had the power to vanquish pain.
Now, I haven't decided what to do with that pain, I'm not sure I would be willing to accept it as my own. (Remember the movie, "Powder" about the albino boy?) It might be cool to re-channel it into some kind of positive energy. Maybe I'd regenerate it into some kind of cheap, efficient fuel. Or food for the hungry. Or energy for JuJu. Or X-rays for Simon the Peeping Tom. I'm also not quite sure I would be comfortable with the awesome responsibility to decide who did and didn't deserve to have their pain taken away. And would it be random, chosen by lottery, first-come, first-served??? Maybe I would take away a closet masochist's pain and piss them off. That would not be cool...
But anyway, that was interesting. Thanks for contributing.

**********************************************

5 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Yeah, what Simon said.

Seriously, though, you made my answer sound very selfish. I realize that if everyone were immortal, then we would have a big problem. Maybe I can just be a Highlander, but without the need to prevent some badass from chopping off my head.

8:25 PM EDT  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

SI: Oh man, I totally agree with you after having read this. You see though, I never learned from my painful mistakes, I think that's why I didn't consider what you've said. I don't think I'm especially stubborn, or even stupid in this regard. Maybe I've never experienced the level of pain that you're referring to. That or I'm just really tough. I dunno, I'll have to give this more thought. But for the record, you totally make sense and I'm going to have to impart some stipulations on my super power...
Glad you added that post script, I was afraid you were an impostor.
MARK: See above, and no, I don't think you were being selfish at all. When I look at my kids and grandkids, I can't even think about not being around when they are 30 or so years older. In fact, it's probably my greatest fear; not dying- but not being here for any of them if they would need me.

9:30 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the ALMIGHT WORDS of GREY'S ANATOMY..."pain is there for a reason..."

Too bad you didn't see last night's episode...it was extremely revelant to your last post.

8:32 AM EDT  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Okay, I've had a chance to think about this now and I decided that pain is Good. But from now on I will use it to teach myself things. Really, when I decided this might be a good super power I was going to think it through at work that day. It just figures that I had a really busy day and didn't get to think. So I just posted off the top of my head in a hurry. See what happens? I want a new super power and I want it to be the ability to stop time and I don't give a shit what the repercussions are!!!! ;-)

5:45 PM EDT  
Blogger Um Naief said...

good choice!! you know, after reading your post, i thought it would be nice to have the power to heal. to be able to see the problem inside the person and then heal them. i think that would be a fantastic thing.

4:36 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home