Tuesday, May 09, 2006

SADLY BEAUTIFUL

Although I don't, as a rule, watch television, sometimes if I'm in the basement doing laundry or whatever I may turn the thing on for background noise. Tonight I did that and I'm not sure what was on, but there was a man sort of pulling a woman up a staircase (not against her will or anything). She laughingly asked, "What are you doing?" He replied, "Taking a much-needed vacation," whereupon he opened a door that lead out onto a rooftop. He proceeded to flip a switch and the lights he had strung all around (kind of all Christmas-like) lit up. He had set a table with candles and switched on music and asked the woman if she wanted to Samba. They began to dance there on the rooftop and I began to melt a little.
This got me awonderin' aboot where in the world has all the Romance gone??? People just seem too busy anymore to take the time to do this kind of thing. Most, anyway. I was reminded of this today (forgive me PD, this is not a personal affront, just an example) when I was giving Madeline lunch. PD was sitting next to us, having his lunch too. The stereo was on, like it always is when I am home, and "our song" came on. Up until today, anytime (no matter what or where) we would hear "our song," he would take me in his arms and we would slow dance. That small act never failed to kindle a spark of romance and remind me why I fell in love in the first place. Not only do we hear the song less and less as time goes by, even though it is a classic, it's just that there are so many millions of classics now. But the chance that the two of us are in the same place at the same time the song may play is slim. So I don't want to miss a chance like that. When I heard the first few notes of the song, my heart leapt a little, like it always has. But obviously PD was preoccupied with Madeline or his food or both.
I think we all need more romance in our everyday lives and should jump at the chance whenever possible. It doesn't take much; not like you have to make forty trips to the roof, all decorating and shit... I don't know how to Samba anyway.
Hey, is this my first "feeling sorry for myself" post??? I'll try not to make it a habit. Promise.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, if I was ther I would have danced with you! You know, after I had eaten and made sure Madeline was alright! ;-)

12:59 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

5:01 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home