Sunday, October 01, 2006

SUNDAY MORNING COMIN' DOWN...

Woke up this morning with one of those "dream hangovers"... you know, you just had a dream and you're feeling the after-effects of it but you can't remember the dream. This was a good dream, obviously, because I feel all positive and peaceful. But, damn! I can't remember it. I keep having little snippets flash through my mind but I can't quite grab one long enough for a clue. I hate when this happens, I want to know what the dream was!!! Anyway...

I put on my most substantial robe cause it's nippy outside, made my coffee and ventured out to the back porch to enjoy a late-in-the-season morning ritual that I will miss like hurricanes when it gets absolutely too cold to even think aboot morning coffee on the porch. It's not really uncomfortably cool out there but had I not been so determined, I wouldn't have considered spending more than a couple of minutes out there.

So I'm sitting there sipping and planning out my day in my head and I realized that not only is there no sunshine at all to speak of, I also don't hear any birds singing. Not even chirping. It was a weird, tomb-like silence. Almost like a vacuum. The only sound I heard was the neighbors' fountain splashing. I'm feeling a little perplexed at this point when I notice a spider riding a strand of web down to the porch floor, hanging from a plant in a basket that I have hung from the porch ceiling. It's one of those dark, spindly spiders that remind me of a scorpion. I made a mental note not to walk close to it when I go back in the house. Then I'm distracted by movement out of the corner of my eye. It's a big old bluejay who plopped himself down on the corner of the garage roof. He seems to be glaring at me like I'm invading his territory or something. He starts squawking at me for all he's worth. Dammit, I was here first, I pay the bills here, its MY Sunday morning. You can bite me and get lost, birdie. Stupid fowl... He kept that up for a few minutes and then jumped over to the sugar maple and glared at me some more in the midst of the leaves raining down. Squawked a few more times and decided I wasn't leaving or even a threat, I guess, and took off to go bother some other unsuspecting coffee-drinker on some other porch. The spider is on his way back up, my coffee is aboot gone and I think I will go back inside. It is then that I notice I must have bumped the lock on the screen door and realize that, luckily, it hadn't latched or I would have been locked out in my pjs with cold coffee and Lord knows how long it would be until PD would wake up and wonder where the hell I was... Close one. Thank you, Jesus ;-)

*********************************************************

2 Comments:

Blogger Um Naief said...

i love blue jays and miss them terribly. i once befriended a yearling and he'd come whenever i called to him for peanuts. he'd take them right from my fingers. i so miss the birds of the states.... the little things i took for granted.

6:12 AM EDT  
Blogger Mark said...

I hate when I can't remember a dream. I'm with you, chica.

We miss birds in general. We're in the midst of abandoned corn fields, surrounded by newly sprouted houses. We get mourning doves (aren't they over their grief by now?), and sparrows. Occasional great-tailed grackle. Nothing pretty at all, like back home. Ahhh, to sit on the deck back home, coffee mug in one hand, binoculars in the other, just picking out warblers and tanagers and finches, oh my!

I envy you those moments.

10:47 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home