Wednesday, July 26, 2006

RUNNING TO STAND STILL?

Or two steps forward, one step back? A quote from Oliver Wendell Holmes:

"I find the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand as in what direction we are moving."
Most of the time, I find that I am not even aware of moving forward. Or backward, for that matter. I've never been a great planner. I know where I want to be, I know what I need to do to get there. I just spend so much time completing my everyday responsibilities that there's no time left for the goal-oriented planning and doing. I don't feel like I'm standing still, either, until weeks and months go by and I happen to notice I'm in the same place I was. And yet in a day's time, I (usually) feel like I accomplished something, anyway. Uh-oh, I'm having deja vu. Did I write this same post last year???
So where do I stand? Here. Am I closer to any goals than I was a year ago? Not really. Shit. I am standing still. Sometimes, though, it seems the world is moving so fast, that I am in actuality going backwards. Like when you're sitting in your car and the car beside you starts to back up and for a second you feel like you're moving and you're not. It's unsettling because you know you're stationary and you are tricked into thinking you've moved.
I think many of us spend so much time just maintaining and trying to keep our heads above water that time slips by and we lose track. Guess I'm just feeling a little stagnant today...
***************************************************
315. How nauseating that fifth mozzarella stick or pancake tastes. (I miss Mitch!!!)

6 Comments:

Blogger Fëanor said...

I suppose you're better off than the poor guy who thinks his life is going somewhere when it really is not... it's going to crush the poor bastard when he becomes aware of the state of things.

10:49 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life is cruel. If it was like a box of chocolates it would have to be the nasty ones with the white cream in them. You know, the ones that all have that little chunk out of them so they can be indentified!

1:45 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha! Pancakes...all exciting at first, but by the end, you're just sick of them! (I'm making a pouty face right now thinking about Mitch)

On a totally different note... only TWO more days 'til I'm outta this hell!!!! (How happy am I?!)

3:53 PM EDT  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Si, Fe, Je: REALLY.

Dana: YAY for you! Finally. We must get together when you get settled.

6:48 AM EDT  
Blogger 2complx said...

Man I've been gone long it is going to take 4ever to catch up

11:53 AM EDT  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

TC: Don't stay away so long next time :-Þ

1:33 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home