Tuesday, July 25, 2006

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Yeah, I know I'm capable of picking a more original title. But I'm thinking I'm hungry so it fit.

I was reading a book just now aboot Life's Big Questions and came across one that picqued my interest. "Is there such a thing as a Generation Gap?" What are your thoughts on this? I'm thinking it depends on a lot of things. I have readers on here that range from their early twenties to mid-fifties. Unless I'm missing something, a lot of times we're seeing things pretty much the same way, although I appreciate different opinions (contrary to what Simon will tell you; that being, that if you disagree with me I'll pout like a Jr. High Schooler and throw a fit.) I wonder why it is we all gather here, is it to check out the dynamic of a wide age-range or is it because it doesn't really feel like there is one here? I'm not sure from my perspective but I'm curious how it seems to you. I think we all have a pretty good rapport here and in email that some of us exchange. We talk aboot music more than anything and that's kind of a universal subject that crosses all boundaries including age.
The book's answer mentions two particular things that "bridge the Gap" and they are Love and Laughter. I think we gots plenty o' that too. ;-)
**************************************************
Paradoxical as it may seem, to believe in youth is to look backward; to look forward, we must believe in age. - Dorothy L. Sayers
(Dear Dorothy, what the hell are you talkin' aboot???)

4 Comments:

Blogger FĂ«anor said...

That's one hell of a question. Usually, I can either answer something or make a joke about it, but I think this is totally relative. The generation gap is strongest for people who are typical, and weakens a bit the further someone gets away from being typical, but probably always there at least a bit, no matter how small.

12:58 PM EDT  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

Simon: Your (first) comment is appreciated and accepted. The second, well, BITE ME. And CLAW YOU. lol
F'nor: Interesting, hadn't thought of it like that... I am surprised though you didn't have a joke...

6:29 PM EDT  
Blogger Bill said...

The generation gap has been replaced with an ideological one.

I worked with two guys in their early 20's recently, both were pretty hard-right in their beliefs. One wore a hat with an elephant and a slogan 'proud republican'. For the record, I voted for George Bush.

Little 'ol me, having voted for Dukakis at 24, found it strange for young men to be interested in politics, let alone wear hats supporting a political party at the age of 21 (supporting Repulicans, no less).

A gap has developed in America, to its detriment. It will be overcome eventually, let's hope it doesn't take a bad event to make the change.

2:08 AM EDT  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

limes: My politically active days occurred while you were probably memorizing the Presidents in Elementary School. I got over it. Now I'm just apathetic and I can't listen to Charlie Brown's teacher Wah-wah-wah-ing at me. I do vote, as futile as it is.

6:55 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home